[Blueboard] Book Launch: The Past, Love, Money and Much More

Japanese Studies Program japanese at admu.edu.ph
Thu Feb 7 14:08:40 PHT 2008

                         The Japanese Studies Program,
          in celebration of the 41st anniversary of its establishment
                       invites everyone to the launch of

                    "THE PAST, LOVE, MONEY AND MUCH MORE"
                      Edited by Lydia N. Yu Jose, Ph.D.

                Saturday, 9 February 2008, 6:30PM, PLDT-CTC 201

                  *                   *                   *

Introduction by Lydia N. Yu Jose

The Philippines and Japan: Not so Unequal, After All

This book revises the common observation that Philippines-Japan
relations are characterized by inequality. Such an observation is the
twin of another common observation, that the bilateral relationship
between the Philippines and Japan is largely economic in nature. We
tentatively accept the observation that Philippines-Japan relations
are mainly economic. We also accept the observation that it is a
relationship between a developed country and a developing one.
But we argue that to say that it is an unequal relationship is to say
nothing of significance, because, naturally, the relationship between a
developed and a developing country is unequal.

For two countries that have had relations for more than a
century, there is certainly something more that can be said about
this relationship, aside from the obvious. We can arrive at a more
significant and nuanced characterization of Philippines-Japan
relations by looking at the other aspects of the relationship without
totally dismissing the admittedly important economic relationship.
As we conditionally admit that the relationship is unequal, we look at
the balance to see which side is heavier; we change the contents of the
balance and vary their combinations to find out if one side is always
heavier than the other or if both sides are sometimes equal.

                  *                   *                   *

Due to limited seats, a confirmation of your attendance is requested by
Friday, 8 February 2008. Thank you.

Contact numbers: 426-6001 local 5248 / 5249 / 426-4326 (Marian)
        email  : japanese at admu.edu.ph / mmartinez at ateneo.edu

Hiroko Nagai-Yabut, Ph.D.
Director
Japanese Studies Program