[Blueboard] LST THEO HOUR with DDDr. Clemens Sedmak

Francis D. Alvarez, S.J. cis_sj at admu.edu.ph
Tue Feb 5 16:23:33 PHT 2008

We do theology as wounded people, sometimes because of our wounds. . . Our
deepest wound is the fact that we do not want to be healed. . .

- Clemens Sedmak, from Doing Local Theology: A Guide for Artisans of a New Humanity

Loyola School of Theology
invites you to

Doing Asian Theology: Challenges for Europe
Local Theology And Its Impact On Global, Cultural, Social, Ethical,
and Political Issues

Theological Hour
with

Prof. DDDr. Clemens Sedmak

February 13, 2008 Wednesday
10:15 a.m.
LST Cardinal Sin Center

   . . . The famous German-American psychologist Erich Fromm talked about our
"escape from freedom." Fromm said that we are afraid of being liberated because
freedom means responsibility . . . Similarly, we are afraid of being touched by
God. God could upset our lives, plans, and projects. Healing can be painful. We
are afraid of saying, truly from the heart, "Thy will be done." Ignatius of
Loyola, the founder of the Jesuits, remarked that most of us have ho idea who we
could be if we surrendered totally to God.

   God wants to heal our wound without making them magically disappear. The
wounds are still there, like the wounds of the risen Lord. But they might become
origins of growth and springs of new life. We do theology not because of hope in
a magincally liberated sorrow-free and happy life. We do theology because we
hope that wounds may be the source of our strength, that the cross may be the
source of new life. That is why we need to be aware of our needs, and we need to
see the wounds of our people.

- Clemens Sedmak, from Doing Local Theology: A Guide for Artisans of a New Humanity

DDDr. Sedmak is the F.D. Maurice Chair for Moral and Social Theology in King's
College, University of London. He is also the head of the Center for Ethics and
Poverty Research in University of Salzburg, Austria.