[Blueboard] Newsbriefs 4 February 2008 Afternoon
Simbahang Lingkod ng Bayan
slb at admu.edu.ph
Mon Feb 4 17:15:08 PHT 2008
Newsbriefs 4 February 2008
Simbahang Lingkod ng Bayan
(UPDATE 2) House showdown deferred (INQUIRER.net)
Presidential Spokesman Ignacio Bunye made the announcement after the legislators, including De Venecia and rival Davao Representative Prospero Nograles, met in Malacañang where the President presided over a caucus of the ruling coalition.
Bunye said De Venecia and Nograles would hold "consultations" with their respective camps.
"There will be no showdown today," said Bunye.
"Voting will be done tomorrow [Tuesday] to give time for protagonists to have further consultations with their supporters," said Bunye.
House minority won't join speakership brawl (abs-cbnNEWS.com)
The opposition block in the House of Representatives will not join the scuffle for the speakership, House Senior Minority Leader Roilo Golez said Monday.
"We would be neutral," Golez told ABS-CBN News Channel.
Golez said the decision to maintain the minority's neutrality in the House's power struggle issue was made during a meeting among opposition members at former president Joseph Estrada's residence at Polk Street in Greenhills, San Juan Sunday.
Neri placed on immigration alert list (abs-cbnNEWS.com)
Former socioeconomic planning chief Romulo Neri has been placed on the Bureau of Immigration's alert list after the Senate issued a warrant for his arrest last week.
Immigration Commissioner Marcelino Libanan said Neri was placed on the alert list after the Senate sent a letter informing the bureau that an arrest warrant has been issued against the official.
Libanan said Neri can still leave the country because he has not been placed on the bureau's hold-departure order (HDO) list. "HDOs can only be issued by the regional trial court, the Department of Justice and the President," he said.
BSP: Strong peso cost overseas Pinoys P24 B (www.philstar.com)
Because of the combined effects of the strong peso and the weakening US dollar, overseas Filipinos (OFs) lost over P24 billion in income last year compared to 2006 figures.
Data from the Bangko Sentral ng Pilipinas (BSP) showed that the losses would have gone up to P26 billion had not other currencies appreciated against the US dollar as well.
OFs refer not only to contract workers but also to migrants and other permanent residents.
A study being conducted by the BSP's Department of Economic Statistics indicated the value of losses suffered by OFs based on comparative remittances between January and September in 2006 and 2007.
Determining how many OFs were affected and had to absorb the losses due to currency exchange fluctuations was more complicated, BSP officials said.
China joins Philippine protest over Spratlys (www.manilastandardtoday.com)
CHINA backs the Philippines' position that Taiwan President Chen Shui-bian's weekend visit to the disputed Spratly Islands is "irresponsible posturing," an embassy spokesman said yesterday.
"We are joining the Philippines' position, and together with other claimants, to preserve peace and stability in the region," embassy spokesman Peng Xiu Bin said in a telephone interview.
Peng, who is also a deputy chief of mission for political affairs, said Beijing, which had signed an agreement with other claimant- countries to observe a code of conduct in the chain of islands, remained committed to its policy to work closely with the Philippines on resolving the international dispute.
China was keen on starting the second phase of the joint exploration of the South China Sea with the Philippines and Vietnam, one of the confidence-building measures among the countries.
The embassy issued the statement after Vietnam strongly criticized Chen after he landed last Saturday on one of the more than 200 islets in the Spratly group of islands, which are being wholly or partially claimed by the Philippines, China, Vietnam, Brunei, Malaysia and Taiwan.
-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
More information about the Blueboard