[Blueboard] Newsbriefs 18 September 2007 Afternoon

Simbahang Lingkod ng Bayan slb at admu.edu.ph
Tue Sep 18 16:34:27 PHT 2007

Newsbriefs 18 September 2007 Afternoon

Simbahang Lingkod ng Bayan

http://www.slb.ph/newsbriefs.htm

(UPDATE) 'Mike Arroyo is NBN deal mystery man' (abs-cbnNEWS.com)

Jose "Joey" de Venecia III, son of Speaker Jose de Venecia, on Tuesday named Jose Miguel Arroyo, spouse of President Arroyo, as the "mystery man" who told him to back off from the allegedly overpriced national broadband network (NBN) deal between the Philippine government and China's ZTE Corp.

"I have previously mentioned to reveal the identity of the mystery man under oath and in the proper forum. It is with a heavy heart that I cannot deny that it was First Gentleman Mike Arroyo," de Venecia said in his testimony before the Senate blue ribbon committee.

De Venecia, whose company Amsterdam Holdings Inc. submitted a proposal for the project, said Commission on Elections Chairman Benjamin Abalos Sr. also wiretapped his phone and threatened him after he refused to back off from the $329 million project.

abs-cbnNEWS.com (9/18/2007 2:27:49 PM)

Ridiculous! - Abalos (abs-cbnNEWS.com)

Commission on Elections (COMELEC) Chairman Benjamin Abalos Sr. on Tuesday denied the "ridiculous" testimony of Jose "Joey" de Venecia III, son of Speaker Jose de Venecia Jr., during the Senate inquiry into the allegedly overpriced National Broadband Network (NBN) deal between the Philippine government and China's ZTE Corp.

"Do I have that kind of influence? Do I have that kind of sexual prowess? Do I have the capability to bug telephone lines? Ridiculous!" Abalos told reporters.

Abalos added that de Venecia's testimonies are not only ridiculous, but also "inconsistent." He also denied the meetings mentioned by de Venecia at the Senate inquiry.

The poll chief said he is now thinking of what move to make regarding de Venecia's statement at the Senate inquiry led by the Blue Ribbon Committee which is chaired by Sen. Alan Peter Cayetano

Congressman Arroyo comes to big brother's defense (INQUIRER.net)

MANILA, Philippines -- Congressman Ignacio "Iggy" Arroyo defended his brother, the First Gentleman Juan Miguel Arroyo, from accusations that he was involved in talks on the national broadband network project.  In a phone interview with INQUIRER.net Tuesday, Arroyo also defended his brother's abrupt flight to Hong Kong, saying that the trip has long been planned.

On Jose De Venecia III's testimony at the Senate Tuesday, Arroyo said, "Masama ang pakirandam ko kasi dinadawit nanaman siya [I feel bad because he is involved again]."  It was Congressman Arroyo who came to the rescue of the First Gentleman who was once accused of owning multimillion-dollar accounts under the name "Jose Pidal."

(UPDATE) Arroyo orders Mendoza to explain NBN deal to SC (INQUIRER.net)

MANILA, Philippines -- Rather than explain to the Senate, President Gloria Macapagal-Arroyo wants her officials to say their piece before the Supreme Court on the issue involving the national broadband network project.. Arroyo said the government could present evidence before the high tribunal, where there would be no politicking.

But Arroyo has yet to comment on the testimony before the Senate of Jose "Joey" de Venecia III linking her husband and First Gentleman Jose Miguel Arroyo to the alleged illegal NBN contract forged between the government and the ZTE Corp. of China.

Star columnist says Abalos threatened to kill him (abs-cbnNEWS.com)

The Philippine Star columnist Jarius Bondoc on Tuesday accused Chairman Benjamin Abalos Sr. of the Commission on Elections (COMELEC) of threatening to kill him after he exposed a ranking poll official had received lavish gifts from grateful officials of China's ZTE Corp. for allegedly brokering the national broadband network (NBN) deal.

During the Senate hearing on the controversy, Bondoc said Jose de Venecia III informed him about the supposed threat made at the house of his father, Speaker Jose de Venecia Jr.

"I was informed by Mr. de Venecia that Chairman Abalos went to his dad's house and there said, 'I will kill Joey, I will kill Jarius.' And I thanked him for giving me that information because I felt then that my security would have been compromised," Bondoc said.