[Blueboard] Newsbriefs 22 October 2007 Morning
Simbahang Lingkod ng Bayan
slb at admu.edu.ph
Mon Oct 22 12:31:19 PHT 2007
Newsbriefs 22 October 2007 Morning
Simbahang Lingkod ng Bayan
Accident angle probed (Inquirer)
MANILA, Philippines -- Police on Sunday entered the basement of Glorietta 2 after siphoning off water and fumes in a bid to determine if the explosion that ripped through the Makati City shopping mall and left 11 people dead was a result of a terrorist attack or an accident.
National Capital Region Police Office (NCRPO) chief Director Geary Barias told the Philippine Daily Inquirer (parent company of INQUIRER.net) that the police checked the underground area for structural defects before sending invesigators inside. He said he expected the investigation there to be completed before midnight Sunday.
"We are hoping that in the post-blast investigation, we would get new evidence that would help us in the investigation," Barias said.
Makati Business Club: Blast shakes trust in RP economy (www.gmanews.tv)
An influential group of traders on Monday said it is expecting business confidence in the Philippines to be shaky following the explosion in the heart of the country's financial district which killed 11 people and injured more than a hundred others.
Alberto Lim, executive director of the Makati Business Club, said in an interview that he is expecting investors to be "temporarily" uncertain of the economy.
"Bababa ang stock market ngayon, ang peso ay hihina. May uncertainty sa bombing. Ang kumpyansa sa ekonomiya medyo naapektuhan (We expect the stock market to go down and the peso to weaken. There is uncertainty because of the bombing. Confidence in our economy had been shaken)," Lim said in an interview on radio dzBB.
500 soldiers guard airports, vital sites; metro on full alert (www.gmanews.tv)
At least 500 soldiers have been deployed in Metro Manila to help secure airports and vital installations following last Friday's deadly blast that killed 11 at the Glorietta 2 mall in Makati City.
Metro Manila police chief Dir. Geary Barias said the 500 soldiers include Marines guarding the Ninoy Aquino International Airport (NAIA).
"The National Capital Region command gave 500 AFP elements. Ang mga Marines sa mga airport at ang Army at Navy kasama na rin natin (The Marines will guard the airport while Army and Navy personnel will help our police personnel secure the metropolis)," he said in an interview on dzEC radio.
DOT: RP still a safe tourist destination (www.philstar.com)
The Department of Tourism (DOT) yesterday assured that the Philippines remains a safe destination for local and foreign tourists.
Malacañang seconded DOT's pronouncement, saying the government remains unfazed by the warning issued by the United Kingdom, Canada and Australia to their citizens to exercise caution while in the Philippines, citing threats of terrorism and last Friday's bombing at the Glorietta mall in Makati City.
"All the island destinations in the country continue to be safe, festive and open to visitors," Tourism Secretary Joseph Ace Durano said.
The tourism chief said the DOT has already assured tourism stakeholders worldwide that the situation in the country is now back to normal.
Trillanes won't retract accusations vs AFP, says lawyer (abs-cbnNEWS.com)
Sen. Antonio Trillanes IV on Monday refused to retract his statement linking the Armed Forces to an explosion at Glorietta 2 mall in Makati City last Friday.
"Senator Trillanes is a former soldier. He has a network in the Armed Forces and the intelligence community. He is a 'go to person' of people who know something about these kinds of incidents," lawyer Reynaldo Robles, Trillanes's chief of staff, told ABS-CBN's morning show, "Umagang Kay Ganda."
"His statements have basis and he is standing by it. He wouldn't make accusations if doesn't have evidence," he added.
Razon: PNP ready for SK, barangay polls (www.manilastandardtoday.com)
THE National Police said it is ready for the implementation of its intensive and well coordinated security plan for the 2007 Barangay and Sangguniang Kabataan synchronized polls as the nine-day campaign period begins.
National Police Chief Avelino Razon Jr. directed all police commanders nationwide, especially provincial directors and city and municipal police chiefs, to directly supervise the strict implementation of the Commission on Election's directives and guidelines in order to ensure honest, orderly and peaceful elections.
Razon ordered PNP commanders to put-up more checkpoints to prevent the movement of partisan armed groups and the transport of firearms. As of this week, 40 high powered and 72 handguns have been confiscated from 119 people, 105 of which were civilians, for violating the election gun ban.
-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
More information about the Blueboard