[Blueboard] Newsbriefs 19 November 2007 Afternoon
Simbahang Lingkod ng Bayan
slb at admu.edu.ph
Mon Nov 19 18:17:46 PHT 2007
Newsbriefs 19 November 2007 Afternoon
Simbahang Lingkod ng Bayan
PNP targets Batasan blast mastermind (abs-cbnNEWS.com)
The Philippine National Police (PNP) announced Monday that it already has a clear picture of the bombing of the Batasan Pambansa Complex last week as its operatives hunt down the mastermind and other personalities involved in the deadly blast that killed Basilan Rep. Wahab Akbar and three others.
"They are telling us a good part of the story. We have a clear picture now as compared to before we [arrested] them," Director Geary Barias, Metro Manila police, told reporters at a press conference in Camp Crame.
Barias was referring to the three arrested suspects - Ikram Indama, Jainar Caidar Aunal and Adham Kusain - who had been subjected to inquest proceedings for four counts of murder and 12 counts of frustrated murder and obstruction of justice.
The police official said that based on the suspects' affidavits, there are more personalities involved in the Batasan bombing.
"There are operational activities that are undergoing. even at this time we're talking here. I'm very sure that there are other personalities that we have to account for," Barias announced.
Sandiganbayan gags own officials on Erap assets forfeiture (abs-cbnNEWS.com)
The Sandiganbayan Special Division on Monday ordered two court officials to stop revealing to the media the details of the forfeiture of former president Joseph Estrada's assets.
Presiding Justice Teresito de Castro passed the directive to Sheriff Ed Urieta and court spokesman Renato Bocar during a hearing on the former president's motion to quash the writ of execution on the anti-graft court's forfeiture order.
Estrada's lawyer Jose Flaminiano said the two court officials should stop divulging to the media details about the forfeiture of assets. Flaminiano said Urieta and Bocar's media statements have put the former president in a bad light.
Urieta had revealed to the media that his office discovered a "new" Jose Velarde account worth at least P400 million. He also said he received reports that the original Velarde account, where at least P200-million plundered public funds was deposited, had been emptied.
Report on junked Pulido impeachment complaint approved (INQUIRER.net)
MANILA, Philippines -- The House committee justice unanimously approved on Monday its report finding the impeachment complaint filed by lawyer Roel Pulido against President Gloria Macapagal-Arroyo sufficient in form but insufficient in substance.
Laguna Representative Edgar San Luis, who endorsed the Pulido complaint, left the meeting before the vote. But he signed the report, noting that he had a dissenting opinion.
The report will be circulated among the justice committee members before it is transmitted to the committee on rules for referral to the plenary, where at least one-third of the House's 239 members is needed to either adopt or reject it.
It's up to Neri, says Palace on presence in Senate NBN probe (INQUIRER.net)
MANILA, Philippines -- Malacañang will consult Commission on Higher Education (CHED) chief Romulo Neri on his attendance to the Senate inquiry on the national broadband network controversy, a senior Palace official said.
Neri has been subpoenaed to show up at the resumption of the hearing Tuesday or face arrest, according to Senator Alan Peter Cayetano, chairman of the blue ribbon committee.
"Once he [Neri] receives the invitation, I'm very sure he will ask and we will ask him what he thinks, because we have been telling them that [those invited] should be given enough time to prepare and [for the Senate] to come up with questions," Ermita said in an interview Sunday.
WB suspends $232-M loan to RP due to bidding anomalies (www.gmanews.tv)
(Updated 1:16 p.m.) The World Bank's governing board has suspended a $232-million loan for the second phase of the road building project in the Philippines whose first installment has been marred by allegations of corruption.
In a statement sent to the media on Monday, the World Bank said it will be deferring discussions on the second phase of the National Roads Improvement and Management Program road-building project until allegations of bid-rigging tainting the first phase are resolved.
"Building on the experience of the first phase and the lessons learned from the INT (Department of Institutional Integrity) investigation, and in line with the World Bank's governance and anti-corruption strategy, the Government and World Bank team jointly developed stringent anti-corruption measures for the second phase of the Program... With the INT report now completed, the discussion of the Phase Two project at the Board has been deferred until the Government and the Board members receive the information they have requested," the international lender said in its statement.
-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
More information about the Blueboard