[Blueboard] Newsbriefs 13 November 2007 Afternoon

Simbahang Lingkod ng Bayan slb at admu.edu.ph
Tue Nov 13 18:14:02 PHT 2007

Newsbriefs 13 November 2007 Afternoon

Simbahang Lingkod ng Bayan

Arroyo shifts focus from economic to political reforms (INQUIRER.net)

MANILA, Philippines -- Claiming to have fixed the economy, President Gloria Macapagal-Arroyo said it was now time to push for political reforms, choosing to focus on fighting corruption, curbing violence, and dealing with the excesses in politics of her critics.

Responding to tirades by her political foes, Arroyo countered that it was their "excessive politicking" and "personal interests" that have kept most Filipino poor.

"A lot of Filipinos are poor because of some leaders' politicking and their personal interests, which they give more importance to than the country's progress," Arroyo said in Filipino in her opening statement at the National Anti-Poverty Commission meeting in Malacañang Tuesday.

"Now that we have straightened out the economy, it is time to push for political reforms. Let us reduce conflict, fight corruption, and put the welfare of the ordinary Filipino first," Arroyo said.

UPDATE) Erap determined to stop forfeiture of 'hard-earned' assets (abs-cbnNEWS.com)

Former president Joseph Estrada said Tuesday that he is ready to defend his "hard-earned" assets and will use all legal remedies to stop Sandiganbayan Sheriff Ed Urieta's forfeiture actions to implement the anti-graft court's writ of execution.

"If he (Urieta) is determined [to confiscate my assets], I'm also determined to fight. I'm ready to die for [my hard-earned assets]," Estrada told dzMM.

Puno, Razon willing to attend Senate 'cash gift' probe (INQUIRER.net)

MANILA, Philippines -- (UPDATE) Interior and Local Government Secretary Ronaldo Puno and Philippine National Police (PNP) Director General Avelino Razon are willing to testify before the Senate on the distribution of cash to local officials to belie claims by Senator Panfilo Lacson the money came from the PNP.

The PSPO is tasked with securing VIPs while PACER is an elite unit formed to combat kidnap-for-ransom groups.

Puno, in a radio interview Tuesday, bewailed Lacson's allegations said the senator, who was once PNP chief, should know that the DILG secretary has no control over police funds.

Even if he has yet to receive an invitation from the Senate to attend the hearing, Puno said he would ask President Gloria Macapagal-Arroyo to allow him to attend the hearing.

Mendoza will not attend Senate 'cash gifts' probe on Wednesday (abs-cbnNEWS.com)

Bulacan Gov. Joselito Mendoza on Tuesday said he will not be able to attend Wednesday's hearing on a Senate investigation on the alleged bribery of governors and congressmen in Malacañang last October.

Mendoza said that he needs to attend an education summit in his province which he said was scheduled earlier.

"Actually gustong-gusto ko talagang pumunta bukas and I'm giving my heart na pupunta talaga ako. But sad to say nasabay talaga sa education summit ng lalawigan na kailangang-kailangan nandoon ako," said the Bulacan governor.

Govt, MILF to start informal talks in Malaysia Wednesday (INQUIRER.net)

MANILA, Philippines -- After months of impasse, the government and Moro Islamic Liberation Front (MILF) will engage in informal talks in Malaysia on Wednesday as a step to resuming formal peace negotiations, Presidential Adviser on Peace Process Jesus Dureza announced.

Malaysia is brokering the talks between government and the secessionist group.

Dureza said the meeting in Kuala Lumpur aims to "firm up" discussions on the contentious issue of ancestral domain, which has stalled the talks.

Dureza said he hoped formal talks could resume early next year and an agreement on ancestral domain could be signed.

WHO warns RP on measles deaths (Agence France-Presse)

Measles could kill up to 6,000 children a year in the Philippines unless the country steps up its immunization program, the World Health Organization warned Tuesday.

In a statement from its regional headquarters in Manila the WHO said the measles outbreak which has plagued the country for almost a year will continue to spread unless more children are vaccinated.

It did not say how many youngsters the disease had killed this year.

The WHO would declare the Philippines measles-free "only if every village vaccinates at least 95 percent of its children," said Soe Nyunt-U, the organization's representative in the Philippines.