[Blueboard] Cancellation of Centennial Mass in memory of Fr. Arrupe

Efren Debulgado edebulgado at ateneo.edu
Mon Nov 12 10:13:55 PHT 2007

Please be informed that the Centennial Mass in memory of  Rev. Fr. Pedro
Arrupe, S.J. at 5:30 pm at the Church of the Gesu on Wednesday, Nov. 14
has been CANCELLED.

We apologize for any inconvenience.

Thank you very much.

Father Pedro Arrupe, S.J.

28th General of the Society of Jesus

          Father PEDRO ARRUPE, S.J., born 14 November 1907 in Bilbao,
Spain, entered the Jesuit Order on 15 January 1927. Ordained priest on
30  July 1936, he spent 27 years as a missionary in Japan, and was
novicemaster at Hiroshima when the atomic bomb was dropped there, On 22
May 1965 he was elected 28th General Superior of the Jesuits, and in the
years following emerged as one of the really outstanding leaders of the
post-Vatican II renewal-within his own Order, in apostolic religious
life generally, and in the worldwide Church, through his winning
charismatic personality, his optimism in faith, courage, simplicity of
spirit and boundless energy, his creative initiative, his profound life
of prayer, his obvious love for people and above all, his burning,
all-encompassing passion for Jesus Christ, his Gospel, his Church. On 7
August 1981, returning to Rome after a visit to the Philippines, he
suffered a massive stroke which incapacitated him and eventually led to
his resignation from his post in September 1983. From 1981 till his
death on 5 February 1991, he underwent a long period of great suffering
and growing helplessness, until, as he himself said, he truly
experienced being totally and absolutely in the hands of God.

          Since his death many favors, great and small, have been
attributed to his intercession before the Lord. His mortal remains rest
in the Jesuit church in the Gesù in Rome.

Prayer for the Glorification of

FR. PEDRO ARRUPE, S.J.

          Father in heaven, in your providence you gave us your servant
Father Pedro Arrupe, son of St. Ignatius Loyola and his successor as
General of the Jesuit Order. Through the grace of the Spirit, you made
him one of the outstanding leaders of the renewal in the life of the
Church in our time.

          Through his intercession, we beg you, Father to grant us the
petition we ask from you. (The grace and favor, the healing...you are
seeking.) May your answer to our prayer be for your greater glory, and
for the glorification of Father Arrupe as your faithful servant in the
holy Church, the communion of saints.

          Teach us, Jesus, to live and die like Father Arrupe, who loved
you and followed you with all his heart and soul, and sought nothing but
the fulfillment of Father's holy will, in life and labor, in suffering
and in death.

          All this we ask, in the name of Jesus our Lord. Amen.

          Our Father, Hail Mary, Glory...