[Blueboard] Vigil Mass for the Elections

gesu at admu.edu.ph gesu at admu.edu.ph
Thu May 10 09:33:35 PHT 2007

"Humble and trusting prayers
are needed to safeguard
the sanctity of the ballot
and of the entire electoral process”
(CBCP Pastoral Exhortation)

Let us gather
as a community of faith
on the eve of election day
to pray for a
"clean, honest, accurate,
meaningful and peaceful" elections.

13 May 2007, Sunday,
6:00 PM, Church of the Gesu
Presider and Homilist: Rev. Fr. Jose Magadia, SJ

-------

Working and praying for honest, orderly and peaceful elections

(Note: A Pastoral exhortation issued on April 24, 2007 by Archbishop Angel N.
Lagdameo, president of the Catholic Bishops Conference of the Philippines.)

“The church values the democratic system inasmuch as it ensures the
participation of the citizens in making political choices, guarantees to the
governed the possibility of both electing and holding accountable those who
govern them
” —John Paul II (Centessimus Annus, #46)

As we approach once again the critical moment of our national election on May
14, let us meet the new crossroads in our history with our best efforts to
make it an honest, orderly and peaceful election. Being in a democracy, this
is the Covenant of Hope that we are all enjoined to give for our country’s
future.

To ensure credible results from the coming election, we call on everyone in
the church and in civil society and on all participating groups and parties to
champion the cause of democratic election y ensuring it to be clean, honest,
accurate, meaningful and peaceful.

We must disapprove, reject and condemn as immoral all acts of violence and
cheating, including the evil of “vote padding and shaving” (“dagdag-bawas”) in
favor of or against any candidate. Let both candidates and their supporters
face the judgment of democratic election with humility and magnanimity.

We exhort everyone to be vigilant, to pray and to offer penance for this
intention. Let us accompany with extreme vigilance and prayer the crucial
period of campaigning, voters’ education, transporting of election
paraphernalia, poll-watching, and very especially, the canvassing and
reporting of the votes. May the hand of God stop evil from getting in control.
We need the Lord’s help, without which our best efforts will come to nothing.
Thus, we urge everyone to invoke the grace of the Holy Spirit to guide out
people in this electoral exercise for the renewal of our country towards
genuine common good.

We want this exhortation to reach every Filipino. Let us be one in prayer,
penance and vigilance. In a particular way, we request the prayers of our
contemplative men and women in the monasteries; there are more than a hundred
of such monasteries all over the country. As they kneel before the Most
Blessed Sacrament, we request them to pray for our country — especially for
all voters, candidates, and election officials/workers.

Let our prayer also accompany the work of the PPCRV and NAMFREL, the COMELEC
and the thousands of teachers in the field, the social action ministries of
CBCP-NASSA, LENTE ((Legal Network for Truthful Elections), as well as the
assistance of the AFP and PNP, and of the hundreds of religious organizations
and civil society groups — all hoping and championing the cause of credible
elections.

We strongly recommend that the parishes organize holy hours of prayer vigils
in their churches or chapels for these intentions, between May 5 and May 14,
with the help of the Apostleship of Prayer and other religious organizations.
We likewise encourage the Basic Ecclesial Communities to do the same in their
centers. Humble and trusting prayers are needed to safeguard the sanctity of
the ballot and of the entire electoral process.

May our Blessed Mother Mary, the Mediatrix of all grace, and our guardian St.
Joseph, the model of honest and prayerful work, intercede for our beloved
country as we face a new transition in our history.

ANGEL N. LAGDAMEO
Archbishop of Jaro
President, Catholic Bishops Conference of the Philippines
April 24, 2007

For inquiries, commments or suggestions, kindly contact:

                          GESU LITURGICAL COMMITTEE
                             Church of the Gesu
                        Ateneo de Manila University

		            Telephone Numbers:

      For reservations:  Marife at 426-6069 or 426-6001 loc.4071
	   To contact the Gesu Campus Ministers:
	  	   Edmark at 426-6001 loc. 4076
		   Jerome at 426-6001 loc. 7154

		            Fax Number:  426-6088