[Blueboard] Newsbriefs 19 January 2007 Afternoon

Simbahang Lingkod ng Bayan slb at admu.edu.ph
Fri Jan 19 16:56:15 PHT 2007

Newsbriefs 19 January 2007 Afternoon

Simbahang Lingkod ng Bayan

http://www.slb.ph/newsbriefs.htm

CHR rejects joint probe with DILG on Iloilo assault (abs-cbnNEWS.com)

The Commission on Human Rights (CHR) on Friday rejected the proposal of the Department of the Interior and Local Government (DILG) to conduct a joint probe into the police assault on the Iloilo provincial capitol earlier this week.

CHR Chairwoman Purificacion Quisumbing told ANC's Dateline Phils. that the commission would be in a better position to determine if there had been human rights violations during the assault if it conducted its own independent investigation.

"We define our independent investigation as one where we ourselves have to examine the facts and the circumstances," she said.

Quisumbing also said that agreeing to a joint investigation with DILG would be in conflict with the mandate and functions of CHR.

"That (agreeing to a joint probe) would not be consonant to the nature of the mandate of the commission," she said.

Interior Secretary Ronaldo Puno made the proposal, assuring that DILG will act on CHR's recommendations.

"Kung maari nga, mag-joint review kami dito sa sitwasyon na ito para mapayuhan din namin ang PNP kung ano yung mga pagbabago kung meron man sa police operating procedures (If possible, the DILG and CHR should conduct a joint review of the situation so that we can advise the Philippine National Police should there be changes in its operating procedures)," Puno told ABS-CBN's Magandang Umaga Pilipinas on Friday.

On Wednesday, police commandos stormed the capitol to remove from office Gov. Niel Tupas, who, along with Board Members Domingo Oso and Cecilia Capadosa, was ordered dismissed by Ombudsman Merceditas Gutierrez. The dismissal order stemmed from Tupas' financial assistance to a board members' convention that did not have an appropriation from the provincial government. Tupas, however, was able to secure a temporary restraining order from the Court of Appeals.

Footage showed police operatives manhandling and poking their assault rifles on Tupas' supporters and smashing the building's glass doors to gain entry.

Aside from CHR, the Philippine National Police and the Senate will also conduct separate investigations into the incident.

Local officials, including the Metro Manila Mayors' League, condemned the assault as an "arrogant use of power".

SC junks disbarment case vs Davide (abs-cbnNEWS.com)

The Supreme Court on Friday junked with finality the disbarment case filed by a former judge against retired Chief Justice Hilario Davide and ten other high court officials, DZMM reported.

In an en banc resolution, the high court said that former judge Florentino Floro failed to submit concrete pieces of evidence to support his complaint against Davide and the other court officials, which included retired Supreme Court justice Bernardo Fardo, retired Court of Appeals justice Pedro Ramirez, former solicitor general Alfredo Benipayo and former high court spokesman Ishmael Khan.

Floro had accused Davide and the others of conspiracy in connection with a preventive suspension order slapped against him last year.

Floro was relieved in March of the same year after medical test results revealed that he was suffering from psychosis.

The high bench's decision also said that Floro was not in a stable mental condition, and therefore, was incapable of performing his duties as a judge.

Arroyo rallies people anew to unite, shun politics (INQUIRER.net)

ELATED by the good showing of the economy, President Gloria Macapagal-Arroyo rallied the people anew to stay united and shun partisan politics.

"Global approval of and confidence in the Philippine track is firm, and will stay that way for as long as we keep our sights on the economy and not on partisan politics," Arroyo said in a statement Friday.

Arroyo said confidence by the international community in the Philippines had been prompted by "unity of the people, the spirit of enterprise, and the force of regional integration."

"On these three counts, the Philippines is on the ball and playing the game with solid teamwork and sound strategy," she said.

"As we mop up the terror cells in Mindanao and usher in peace, as we consolidate free trade in ASEAN and East Asia, as we drive domestic enterprise to the grassroots and rally all Filipinos behind the fight against poverty -- we will be well on the way to winning the grand prize of first world status in 20 years," said Arroyo.

Comelec preparing security plan (www.philstar.com)

The Commission on Elections (Comelec) has started preparing security measures for the May 14 elections.

Comelec Chairman Benjamin Abalos said the poll body will meet with top officials of the Philippine National Police (PNP) next Wednesday to discuss the security plans in the coming polls.

Abalos explained that police will assist the Comelec ensure honest and peaceful elections.

He said the PNP would be solely responsible for providing security during the polls because the Armed Forces would have a limited function.

Aside from the police, representatives of the Department of Justice, the Department of Budget and Management (DBM), Public Attorney's Office, and the Department of Education will also attend the joint command conference at the PNP headquarters at Camp Crame in Quezon City.

GMA vows to finish off Sayyaf (www.philstar.com)

President Arroyo vowed yesterday to finish off the Abu Sayyaf and tighten security alliances with the country's neighbors and the United States.

"We are resolved to work with our strategic allies in the region and with the United States to tighten the dragnet and stop the movement of terrorists, their finances and their deadly materiel across the seas and borders," Mrs. Arroyo said.

In a statement at the opening of the command conference at the Department of National Defense at Camp Aguinaldo in Quezon City, Mrs. Arroyo lauded the Armed Forces for the killing of Abu Sayyaf spokesman Abu Solaiman, whose real name is Jainal Antel Sali Jr., during a firefight in Sulu on Tuesday.

"The milestone in the campaign against terror caps with glory the signing of the Association of Southeast Asian Nations (ASEAN) Convention on Counter Terrorism" in Cebu last week, the statement said.

(UPDATE) Philippine oil firms reduce pump prices by P0.50/liter (abs-cbnNEWS.com)

Philippine oil firms on Thursday cut the pump prices of their gasoline and diesel products by P0.50 per liter, the second reduction this year amid easing global crude prices.

These oil companies were Petron Corp., Pilipinas Shell , Chevron, Seaoil, Total and Flying V.

Caltex and Seaoil's price cut took effect at 2 p.m. Petron, Shell and Flying V will lower their prices beginning 6 p.m. Total will start its price rollback at 8 p.m.

The oil companies cited lower international crude prices and stronger peso for the price adjustment.