[Blueboard] Memo Re: Death of Fr. Cipriano F. Unson, S.J.

Flor Sanchez fsanchez at ateneo.edu
Tue Jan 9 16:34:14 PHT 2007

MEMO TO	:	THE UNIVERSITY COMMUNITY

FROM      	:	THE PRESIDENT

R E		:	DEATH OF FR. CIPRIANO F. UNSON, S.J.

This is to inform the community of the death of FR. CIPRIANO F. UNSON, S.J. last night, January 8, 2006, at 10:45 in the evening.  The cause of death seems to have been sudden internal bleeding..  He was 81 years old.  Earlier in the evening, Fr. Unson still attended the community mass and joined the community dinner.

His body will be waked at the Oratory of St. Ignatius, Loyola House of Studies, beginning tonight.  There will be daily masses at 8 pm.  The funeral Mass will be on Friday, January 12, 2006 at 8:00 a.m. at Loyola House of Studies.  Interment at Sacred Heart Novitiate will follow immediately after the funeral mass.

Fr. Unson entered the Society of Jesus at Sacred Heart Novitiate on May 30, 1943.  He did his Regency in Ateneo de Cagayan High School (now Xavier University).  He studied Theology at Woodstock College and was ordained at Fordham University on June 16, 1956 by Cardinal Spellman.  >From 1961 to 1964, he was at Xavier University; first in the High School and then in the College.  He was Dean of Discipline, Prefect of Boarders, Professor of Theology and Religion.  He was also the coach of the basketball teams for both High School and College.  In the latter half of the 1960s, he was with the retreat apostolate in the Angono Retreat House and La Ignaciana Apostolic Center.

>From 1970 to 1978, he was Director of Alumni Affairs and in-charge of University Athletics at the Ateneo de Manila University.

He was Rector of Ateneo de Davao Jesuit community from 1981 to 1986, Rector of the Xavier University Jesuit community and Dean of the College of Arts and Sciences from 1987 to 1994.  From 1994 to 1998, he was Assistant to the Xavier University President for Formation.  From 1998 to 2006, he was Director of Campus Ministry at Sacred Heart School-Jesuit in Cebu City.

At the Ateneo de Manila University, Fr. Unson is best remembered for his role as Director of Alumni Affairs and Athletics.  His constant support of sports at the Ateneo has made him a much-loved mentor and friend.  On November 30, 1994, he was elected to the Ateneo Sports Hall of Fame as Awardee for Athletic Moderator and Coach.

On July 15, 2006, the Ateneo de Manila University community had the opportunity to celebrate his Golden Jubilee in the Jesuit priesthood with a Mass at the Gesu and dinner at the Moro Lorenzo Sports Center, Michael L. Escaler Wing.

We thank the Lord for his life and we pray for him as he is welcomed by the  Lord as a good and faithful servant.

							BIENVENIDO F. NEBRES, S.J.