[Blueboard] Wanted: Child Rights Champion> Intersect latest issue now out!

Intersect intersec at admu.edu.ph
Tue Aug 21 10:50:13 PHT 2007

Wanted: Child Rights Champion

It is often said that children are the hope of our fatherland. There are
children however who are behind bars: they are called children in conflict
with the law (CICL). According to the Juvenile Justice and Welfare Act of 2006
(RA 9344), children 15 years old and below are exempt from criminal liability.
We may then ask, who will advocate their cause and not allow them to be thrown
into jail?

Intersect, the quarterly magazine of the John J. Carroll Institute on Church
and Social Issues (JJCICSI) in its latest issue titled “Directions, anyone?,”
features an article on the condition of CICLs in jail. Titled “Wanted: Child
Rights Champion,” the article also talks about the urgency of the situation of
these children in jails and how newly elected officials can uphold their
rights.

Is there hope for our children? Will our newly elected officials champion
their cause? Read the Intersect now and find out. Call us at 426-6001 to 30
local 4665 or e-mail us at intersec at admu.edu.ph or intersect_icsi at yahoo.com.
You can also drop by our office at the 2/F Mayo Hall, Social Development
Complex, Ateneo de Manila University, Loyola Heights, Quezon City. Copies are
sold at P80 each. Look for Chayie or Didith. Magazines are also sold in
Tanging Yaman stores at Sonolux Building and Loyola House of Studies. #