[Blueboard] Newsbriefs 27 April 2007 Afternoon

Simbahang Lingkod ng Bayan slb at admu.edu.ph
Fri Apr 27 18:25:11 PHT 2007

Newsbriefs 27 April 2007 Afternoon

Simbahang Lingkod ng Bayan

http://www.slb.ph/newsbriefs.htm

CBCP: Reject violence, cheating in polls (INQUIRER.net)

MANILA, Philippines -- The Catholic Bishops' Conference of the Philippines (CBCP) has called on the people to "disprove, reject, and condemn as immoral all acts of violence and cheating."

CBCP President Angel N. Lagdameo said this was a kind of "guide, prayer and appeal" to the public amid promises of rewards by several government officials in exchange for their support of a particular candidate.

"We must disapprove, reject and condemn as immoral all acts of violence and cheating, including the evil of "vote-padding" and "vote-shaving" [dagdag-bawas] in favor of or against any candidate. Let both candidates and their supporters face the judgment of democratic election with humility and magnanimity," Lagdameo said reading from the Pastoral Exhortation.

He also joined the call for the Commission on Elections (Comelec) to look at the problem in the province of Iloilo.

"We look at vote-buying as something immoral but in this particular case I would like the Comelec to solve this particular problem in Iloilo," Lagdameo told a press conference Friday.

More Army troops in Metro after polls (www.philstar.com)

After the May elections, the Armed Forces of the Philippines National Capital Region Command (NCRCOM) is planning to deploy 12 additional Army teams in Metro Manila ostensibly to conduct civil-military operations.

The additional troop deployment will be augmented by police personnel, whom NCRCOM commander Maj. Benjamin Dolorfino said would be posted with the soldiers in slum communities.

"There are barangays requesting deployment, like the four barangays in Paco, Manila," Dolorfino said. "Now some of the barangay chairmen from the 37 barangays of District 3, Quezon City would like also to have troops in their communities."

He said further studies are being conducted on plans to deploy more Army teams in addition to the 12 teams that the NCRCOM is deploying after the May 14 elections.

Dolorfino said soldiers deployed in Metro Manila could be tapped to educate voters.

Asked if the troops would be withdrawn from Metro Manila during the midterm elections, he replied, "It will be decided at the last minute. we are also considering other factors - like the projects that we are conducting in the communities. Very soon we will start another six engineering projects."

He said it would be a big waste if the government kept soldiers in Metro Manila idle at military headquarters.

"We can advocate for honest, orderly and peaceful elections. What's wrong with that?" he asked.

Earlier, Dolorfino said he would recommend the pullout of troops from Metro Manila before the May 14 elections, to spare the soldiers from accusations of engaging in partisan activities.

Comelec team probes sale of party-list seats (www.manilastandardtoday.com)

The Commission on Elections has formed a task force that will investigate allegations of buying and selling of party-list seats.

Commissioner Resurreccion Borra said the poll body's law department has been tasked to firm up the composition of the fact-finding committee which must turn in its report before the mid-term elections two weeks from now.

"There were allegations specific enough to name party-list groups and in fact there was an allusion to some people somewhere. So we can start by calling these people," Borra said in an interview yesterday.

The Comelec en banc met Wednesday to firm up the creation of the task force.

Borra said members of media might also be invited for questioning over the alleged sale of party-list seats for as much as P7 million a seat.

"In fact there was one instruction of the Commission en banc to call the media people who published these party-list buying and selling so that we can get information like where did you get these information you published in your paper," Borra said.

Comelec to bets: Remove illegal posters in 24 hours (INQUIRER.net)

MANILA, Philippines -- The Commission on Elections (Comelec) has given local candidates 24 hours to remove all campaign materials that have been posted illegally or face disqualification.

Comelec Chairman Benjamin Abalos also gave election and police officers, barangay (village) officials 24 hours to explain why they should not be charged administratively for being remiss in their duty in observing the law on where posters should be placed.

"It's very disgusting that there has been proliferation of posters outside common poster areas. Our election and police officers, barangay officials, as well as the candidates mga naging pabaya [they have been remiss]," Abalos said.

Abalos specifically pointed to Quezon City and Manila as among the areas where posters had been placed just about anywhere.

The Comelec will again meet with the election officers to remind them to strictly observe election laws.