[Blueboard] Sign Up for Vforce - 1M Volunteers for Clean and Honest Election

Simbahang Lingkod ng Bayan slb at admu.edu.ph
Fri Apr 13 13:54:35 PHT 2007

                                                                        We are looking for 1 million people who will fight for this country.

These coming elections in May 2007 are especially important.Many of our current political problems, which have hindered fullereconomic development and social justice, especially for the poor,can be traced to unresolved questions concerning the conduct of past elections.  As a nation, we cannot afford yet anothercontroversial exercise that further aggravates social distrust andhopelessness.

                                                                                                                            Catholic Bishops Conference of the Philippines
                                                                                                                            January 28, 2007

We believe that what is at stake in the May 2007 elections is the credibility of our institutions and the viability of our hard-earneddemocracy.  And we cannot let our frustration and distrust drive usaway from the political arena.  This will only embolden those whodisregard the rule of law and undermine our institutions.

We can still reclaim our place in our country's democratic life, by ensuring that the May 2007 elections are honest and credible, and that candidates who have the people's interests at heart get a fair shot at winning.

VforCE, or 1 Million Volunteers for Clean Elections, is a nationwide movement of volunteer individuals and organizations, committed to providing voter education and volunteer training to protect the integrity of the elections, to fighting fraud and violence, and to working for long-term political and social reform.  VforCE volunteers will work on the following fronts:

Voter Education and Involvement through activities like Pinoy Voters' Academy, which is a participative process of political education leading to action-planning by local communities, and Bantay Pangako, which builds on the covenants signed between the candidates and communities to create mechanisms for monitoring campaign promises and demanding accountability after the elections. Organizations like the Parish Pastoral Council for Responsible Voting (PPCRV), National Secretariat for Social Action of the CBCP (NASSA) and Simbahang Lingkod ng Bayan (SLB) are working on this front.

Pollwatching. On election day, trained pollwatchers will be fielded at the precinct level to monitor vigilantly election activities in order to ensure that the process is fair, clean, honest, and peaceful. PPCRV is also responsible for this task.

Citizens' Vote Count. NAMFREL, PPCRV, NASSA volunteers will work with partner organizations for an unofficial tally of  election returns alongside the official Comelec count.

Canvassing Watch. Trained volunteer lawyers and paralegals of the Legal Network for Truthful Elections (LENTE) convened by the Integrated Bar of the Philippines (IBP) and One Voice will monitor the aggregation of votes at the Municipal, city and provincial levels, as well as respond to calls for legal assistance.

Other Education and Monitoring Work.  Websites providing candidates' profiles have been put up by groups such as SLB, De La Salle University, Makati Business Club and Ivote.ph to help voters make informed choices. SLB will also operate a Bantay Call Center to answer queries from voters, including OFWs. The Pera't Pulitika project is monitoring campaign finance.  Bantay Eleksyon is documenting the whole election process, especially the role of the Comelec.

We need 1 million volunteers to cover about 300,000 precincts and 1,600 canvassing points in the country.  Be a volunteer, join us with your friends and family, and help fight for our country.

We need clean elections.  We need genuine democracy. We need you.

VforCE: 1 million Volunteers for Clean Elections

PPCRV, NAMFREL, NASSA, LENTE, Simbahang Lingkod ng Bayan, Pinoy Bantay
Bayan, Bantay Eleksyon, Pera't Pulitika, Integrated Bar of the Philippines, Makati Business Club, One Voice.

Contact

VforCE:   Web: http://vforce.multiply.com
              Email: vforce2007 at gmail.com
              Text:  09263041826