[Blueboard] Newsbriefs 11 September Morning

Simbahang Lingkod ng Bayan slb at admu.edu.ph
Mon Sep 11 12:20:24 PHT 2006


Newsbriefs 11 September Morning

Simbahang Lingkod ng Bayan

http://www.slb.ph/newsbriefs.htm

 

Bolante told he was on US blacklist (Inquirer)



IT'S NOW OFFICIAL.



The US Embassy canceled former Agriculture Undersecretary Jocelyn "Joc-joc" Bolante's visa after the Philippine Senate ordered his arrest in connection with the P728-million fertilizer fund scam, according to a US court document given to the Inquirer.



The three-page US Immigration and Naturalization Service affidavit showed that an INS officer interrogated Bolante shortly after he was detained in Los Angeles in July and informed him about the scrapping of his B1/B2 visa.



"You are inadmissible into the United States in accordance with . the Immigration and Nationality Act because records indicate that your visa had been revoked by the United States Consular Office in Manila due to the arrest warrant issued to you by the Philippine Senate," INS Officer Rene Arambulo told Bolante.



In that same affidavit, Bolante revealed that two officers were apparently already "looking" for him "at the jetway" when he arrived at the Los Angeles International Airport on July 7.



He also said that he was not aware that the US Embassy had canceled his visa and insisted that his passport was valid. Bolante later chose to be jailed in the United States rather than be deported to Manila.



The US Embassy has remained tightlipped on the case.



Killings haunt Arroyo in Europe (Inquirer)
 

HELSINKI -- The ghosts of hundreds of political militants murdered during her rule have come to haunt President Gloria Macapagal-Arroyo during her visit to Europe.



The Arroyo administration's human rights record came up in talks Ms Arroyo had on Saturday with Finland President Tarja Halonen and she told the Finnish leader of her plan to invite a delegation from the European Union to see for itself the human rights situation in the Philippines.



This was disclosed to reporters by National Security Adviser Norberto Gonzales, who was with Ms Arroyo during the bilateral meeting here.



Gonzales said the issue was also expected to crop up on Tuesday when Ms Arroyo meets with top level officials of the European Union in Brussels, the second leg of her five-nation trip.



"The tough questions will be asked of the President in Brussels and she is prepared for this," Gonzales said.



RP, Japan sign pact to remove trade tariffs (www.manilastandardtoday.com) 



ALMOST 95 percent of all Philippine exports to Japan will enjoy duty-free privileges in exchange for Manila's scrapping of import tariffs on Tokyo-made automobiles, now that the two countries have signed the long-delayed Japan-Philippines Economic Partnership Agreement. 



Under the free trade pact signed Saturday night by Prime Minister Junichiro Koizumi and President Gloria Macapagal Arroyo, 400 to 500 Filipino nurses and caregivers may now enter Tokyo for the first time and corner a significant share of the Japanese health market. 



The bilateral trade accord, which seeks to liberalize the flow of goods and services between the two countries by 2007, was signed a day before the two-day 6th Asia-Europe Meeting began in Helsinki yesterday. 



"About 95 percent of Philippine exports to Japan, in terms of value, will face zero duties on day one. This will have an immediate positive impact on farmers, fishermen and food processors," Presidential Spokesman Ignacio Bunye said in a statement released from Finland. 



MILF leader warns govt on land claim (abs-cbnNEWS.com )

 

A leader of the Moro Islamic Liberation Front warned the government of another bloody war in Mindanao if peace negotiators continue to delay talks on their ancestral land claims, ABS-CBN News reported Monday.

 

"No one can deprive us of our land in Mindanao. Only the Japanese surrender. We are not allowed to [surrender] as soldiers of Allah. We will not back down if our rights are being taken away," Hadju Abduraman Macapaar, alias Commander Bravo, said in an interview.

 

Macapaar, who carries a P50-million bounty, was interviewed at an undisclosed training camp in Lanao del Norte.

 

Macapaar insisted that the government started the war in Mindanao. He also said that previous peace talks bogged down due to military offensives.

 

On Thursday a foreign news agency reported that the MILF-government peace talks broke down in Malaysia without negotiators agreeing on the issue of ancestral land claims.

 

 

 

 
-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
URL: https://lists.ateneo.edu/pipermail/blueboard/attachments/20060911/1e3490c7/attachment.html 


More information about the Blueboard mailing list