[Blueboard] September 9: Feast Day of ST. PETER CLAVER, S.J.

University at Prayer aheramia at ateneo.edu
Thu Sep 7 17:06:19 PHT 2006

" A Great sign appeared in heaven; a woman clothed with the sun, the moon beneath her feet, and a crown of twelve stars on her

ST. PETER CLAVER, S.J.

UNIVERSAL PATRON OF THE MISSION TO THE BLACK SLAVES

September 9, Feastday

. Born: June 25, 1580 in the village of Verdu,

   Catalonia, Spain

. Entered Society of Jesus: August 7, 1602

. Took First Vows: August 8, 1604

. He studied Philosophy at the Jesuit

   College of Montesion in Palma,

   Majorca where he was deeply

   influenced by the saintly lay brother

  Alphonsus Rodriquez,S.J., to become

   a missionary.

. On April 15, 1610, he sailed from Seville, Spain

   for Cartagena des Indias, the port of entry for the

   black slave trade in the New World.

. He was ordained priest in Cartagena on March

   19, 1616.

. From 1616 until his death in 1654, thirty-eight

                                                                                   years, he worked in Cartagena among the black

  slaves who were the most downtrodden sector

  of that society.

.The essence of Claver's spiritual impact was his

   unconditional gift of himself to others and his

   preference for the wretched, although he did not

   work exclusively with them.

The Apostolate of St. Peter Claver, S.J.

St. Peter Claver, S.J., was obsessed with the tragedy of the black slaves. He saw and wept bitterly over their wretched condition when they arrived after the long sea voyage from Africa to Cartagena.  His heart went out to their suffering. As many as one-third of the slaves died in the sea voyage. Packed into the boats, they looked out sadly, like animals in despair. He would go to those still alive, many of them so sick that they had no wish to eat, but only to die. He washed them, nursed them back to life, and fed them. He would comfort them and put them at ease. Then, he would baptize and instruct them in the faith with the help of his catechists. He baptized and instructed more than 300,000 of the black slaves. He saw himself as the liberator of an oppressed race. He committed himself totally to their welfare. This was his ministry for his entire priestly life, thirty-eight years.

Points for Reflection

.  Am I aware of the needs of the poor, the suffering and the needy in the

  Philippines today?

.  Do I know poor people? Do I  know people in need?

   Do I  have friends among the poor?

  a.. How much do I go out of my comfort zone to care
          for the poor and those in need?

Prayers

Lord God, you called Saint Peter Claver

to be the servant of slaves

and a heroic example of patient charity.

Grant through his prayers that we may see

what belongs to Christ, and love our neighbor,

not in word only but with our whole lives.

We ask this through our lord,

Jesus Christ, Your Son,

who lives and reigns with You

and the Holy Spirit,

one God, for ever and ever.

Amen.

Prayer of Pedro Arrupe, S.J.

Teach me how to be compassionate to the suffering,

To the poor, the blind, the lame, and the lepers;

Show me how You revealed Your deepest emotions,

As when you shed tears,

Or when you felt sorrow and anguish

To the point of sweating blood

And needed an angel to console You.

Above all, I want to learn

How you supported the extreme pain of the cross

Including the abandonment of Your Father.

Amen.

Reflection for SEPTEMBER, 2006

Contributed by:  Pasquale T. Giordano, S.J.

                             Loyola Schools