[Blueboard] Ambeth R. Ocampo is 2006 Metrobank Outstanding Teacher

Loyola Schools Bulletin lsbulletin at admu.edu.ph
Thu Sep 7 09:16:04 PHT 2006

>From the Office of the Vice President for the Loyola Schools

    We are pleased to announce to the University community the selection of Ambeth R. Ocampo as one of the Metrobank Foundation's Outstanding Teachers for 2006. Mr. Ocampo is Assistant Professor at the Department of History, School of Social Sciences.

    We share with you an excerpt from the Metrobank Foundation's citation for Mr. Ocampo:

    "While his column on history is widely read in the paper and online editions of the Philippine Daily Inquirer, Ambeth is happiest in the classroom. Despite the heavy workload from his classes--his undergraduate course is much talked about and sought after--he derives fulfillment in using history to mold the minds and characters of his students. He promotes the kind of understanding that stirs them into correcting the mistakes of the past, emulating its glories, building the nation, and creating its future--the usable past becoming a usable present and a viable future. He shares a perspective of history as formative rather than merely informative--he goes beyond the what, when, where, and how of events, and asks, "Why?"

    As researcher, teacher, histories, sometime Benedictine monk, academic administrator, and concurrent Chair of the National Historical Institute and the National Commission for Culture and the Arts, Ambeth has received his share of awards--the National Book Award, Catholic Mass Media Award, Ten Outstanding Young Men, Pambansang Gawad Balagtas Achievement in Writing, and Fulbright Visiting Scholar Fellowship at Kyoto University."

    Mr. Ocampo's Metrobank Outstanding Teacher Award gives due recognition to a man who has served the Ateneo and the country in many different ways, and who we hope will do the same for many years to come. We join the Ateneo community in congratulating him on this well-deserved award.