[Blueboard] Newsbriefs 4 September Afternoon

Simbahang Lingkod ng Bayan slb at admu.edu.ph
Mon Sep 4 18:02:01 PHT 2006


Newsbriefs 4 September Afternoon

Simbahang Lingkod ng Bayan

http://www.slb.ph/newsbriefs.htm

 

Arroyo hits Cayetano over hidden account rap (abs-cbnNEWS.com)

 

President Arroyo on Monday scored Taguig-Pateros Rep. Alan Peter Cayetano for accusing the First Family of maintaining a multimillion-dollar account in Germany. 

 

"I am breaking my silence because I can no longer allow my family to be pilloried in this manner," the DZMM report quoted Mrs. Arroyo as saying from Malacañan.

 

"My husband and I had been officially cleared by HypoVereins Bank, the alleged depository of our non-existent account. My lawyer can belie congressman Cayetano's accusation to the last detail," she added. 

 

The President's husband has filed a P30-million libel suit against Cayetano before the Quezon City Prosecutor's Office.

 

Mr. Arroyo filed the suit after obtaining a bank certification that said he does not have a multimillion-dollar account in the bank. 

 

Cayetano has refused to apologize to the First Family, saying that he is ready to present his evidence and witnesses on the bank account in the proper forum.

 

Palace to take NAIA-3 row directly to SC--Solicitor General (INQ7.net)



SEEKING a "faster remedy" to settle the question of jurisdiction over Terminal 3 of the Ninoy Aquino International Airport (NAIA-3), Malacañang will ask the Supreme Court to overturn a ruling by a lower court that stopped a three billion-peso payment to the builder of the terminal, Solicitor General Antonio Eduardo Nachura said Monday.



In a telephone interview, Nachura said the government would file "hopefully today" a petition for certiorari with the high tribunal "questioning the assumption of jurisdiction by the Court of Appeals" and to stop the CA from enforcing the temporary restraining order (TRO) on the government payment to the Philippine International Air Terminals Co. (PIATCo).



The new legal tact is expected to be a "faster remedy" than the previous legal moves the government is pursuing, including asking the appellate court to quash the TRO.



Following the government's petition to quash the TRO, the Court of Appeals asked the parties concerned, including intervenor Ilocos Sur Representative Salacnib Baterina, to comment in 10 days.



But Nachura said that this would take a longer process, thus, they planned to go directly to the Supreme Court.



The government is rushing to pay PIATCo for the writ of possession, a requirement by the International Chamber of Commerce Arbitration Tribunal based in Singapore, for the government to operate the terminal.



BAYAN members abducted in Bulacan (abs-cbnNEWS.com)

 

Two members of the left-leaning Bagong Alyansang Makabayan (BAYAN) were allegedly kidnapped by unidentified men Monday in Malolos City, Bulacan, DZMM reported.

 

The report said four men wearing balaclavas took Gerry Martinez, 53, and Cesar Salamat, 70, from their homes in Sitio Mindanao in Barangay Santa Rosario.

 

A statement from BAYAN's Central Luzon office blamed the military for the abduction.

 

Capt. Wilfredo Martin, spokesman of the Army's 7th Infantry Division based in Bulacan, has denied the allegation.

 

He urged BAYAN to produce evidence and file charges against the military.

 

Revilla pushes for institutionalizing Mayon volcano evacuation (www.philstar.com)

Due to constant unrest of the Mayon Volcano which affects residents in the area almost every two years, Sen. Ramon Bong Revilla said Monday the evacuation plan in the area should already be institutionalized. 

The senator, who lauded the Albay provincial and municipal governments for their systematic and organized response to the disaster said it is high time to build permanent evacuation centers in Albay with the frequent volcanic unrest. 

He noted with concern that the already long stay of the evacuees in temporary housing with cramped spaces do not augur well for the well-being and welfare of the evacuees. He also stressed that converting schools into evacuation centers heavily disrupts the classes of many students. 

He said, "I am disturbed by what I have seen, children enduring the grueling heat of the sun in make shift houses and tents, people cramming in very limited spaces, and these are constantly happening in this province because of the Mayon's unrest every so often." 

With the habitual instability of the volcano, Revilla said the province might as well put permanent evacuation centers in usual places where residents are always evacuated. 

He added, "Since this is always happening, evacuation plans need to be institutionalized already. Permanent evacuation centers should already be erected so that in times like this, we know where to put the evacuees. We avoid disrupting classes in schools where we usually house the displaced residents; we also save ourselves from trouble of looking around for temporary shelters."
-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
URL: https://lists.ateneo.edu/pipermail/blueboard/attachments/20060904/e05424a5/attachment.html 


More information about the Blueboard mailing list