[Blueboard] Be a part of the Lights for Hope Outreach Program

Lara Chuavon vchuavon at ateneo.edu
Sat Sep 2 05:42:28 PHT 2006

Dear Fellow Alumni,

For the last five years, the university has been organizing an early Christmas party for the children of Jesuit pastoral outreach groups. Last year our kids came from the Blue Eagle Village, Ateneo's very own project in partnership with Gawad Kalinga.   This year we will be inviting children of families supported by Pathways to Higher Education. Numbering at least 600, they are aged 4-12 years. The Lights for Hope Christmas Outreach will be held on the Saturday, December 2, from 3:00-6:00 pm at the Erenchun football field.

The children will be picked up and brought home by buses, served merienda, given loot bags, enjoy inflatable slides and participate in games with prizes to win. Talents from the major networks will also be invited to grace the afternoon.

In the past years, the HS Jubilarian Class would provide the funds to cover the expenses. After several consultations, however, we are proposing to invite as many Jubilarian Classes and alumni batches as possible to get involved so that the Lights for Hope project  will be an all-alumni annual Christmas project.

We are requesting the different batches to help with the outstanding expenses.  We are also making a call to alumni connected with the various food and beverage, manufacturing, pharmaceuticals, garments companies to provide us with items we can include in the loot bags which will be given away to the children after the program.

Donations may be in cash or in kind.

The following batches have pledged their support:

      1)   5 buses at P7,000/bus - HS '81 (c/o Vince Araneta)

      2)   2 inflatable slides - HS '81 (c/o Vince Araneta)

      3)   merienda for 750 children and volunteers

            hotdog, chicken nuggets, drinks - HS '96 (c/o Popoy Roderos)

      4)   600 loot bags - GS '66 (c/o Jimmy General)

We need help for the following expenses:

1)      7 buses at P7,000/bus - P49,000.00

2)      Outdoor Sound System - P10,000.00

3)      Miscellaneous expenses

Garbage collection - P2,750.00

200 Monobloc chairs  - P1,500.00

set-up and installation fees, maintenance personnel, security guards - P15,000.00

4 Portalets - P8,000.00

It is hoped that this early Christmas treat will remind them that people care and sincerely want to bring them joy, warmth and cheer in this special time of the year.  As we give generously, may we truly be Light in the Lord, Lux in Domino to our underprivileged children.

Thank you very much.  God bless you!

For inquiries please call or email:

Lara Chuavon      426-6001 ext. 4089

                            vchuavon at ateneo.edu