[Blueboard] Those who might be left behind - #1

Christopher Peabody cpeabody at ateneo.edu
Tue Nov 28 17:38:35 PHT 2006

Those who might be left behind - #1

Every week, we meet some very brave and loving parents, students,
faculty, and staff who come to the Annual Fund office for help.
Here are some of their real stories.

Your gifts to the Annual Fund mean that we can help them get through
tough times.

“My kuya is special and I love him”

What do you do when your first-born son is autistic?
How do you help him become a full person?
What will happen to him after you’re gone?

This AGS Prep parent faces these questions everyday.
“I live for my two sons,” he says, “my life is not my own.”

A former banker, A. does not regret giving up his career to take care of
his autistic first-born son.
To better understand his son’s condition, he is finishing his M.A. in
Special Education at U.P. Diliman.

He is grateful that his youngest son is a bright, healthy Ateneo prep
student who loves his kuya even if he is still too young to understand
what autism is – and how debilitating it can be.

“My kuya is special and I love him,” he proclaimed during his class’
Show-and-Tell, while holding a blown-up photograph of his kuya.

Although he tried working on a full-time basis, A. could not continue
because of the special demands for his son. His goal is to help his son
get through the next two critical years of development so at the age of
14, he will reach his maximum learning capacity.
By then, A. hopes that his son will be self-sufficient enough to be
mainstreamed.

Even though A.’s wife is working full time, it is still not enough.
With the substantial costs of special therapies for their autistic son
(sometimes as much as P40,000 per month) and rising tuition fees in both
the special school and the Ateneo, they have to survive on credit cards
and loans from family and friends.

At the suggestion of a member from AGSPAC, A. approached the Annual Fund
for short term Tuition Assistance.
The Annual Fund can only help if those who can afford to give decide
today to share their blessings.

Real help can come from small, regular gifts from many people!

The Ateneo Annual Fund’s (AAF) ultimate goal is that No One is Left
Behind.

As one loving, caring Ateneo community, it is important for us to help
each other during our time of need.
We have been able to help students in all the units, but the need has
grown faster than the donations!

Please consider making a small regular gift to the Ateneo Annual Fund,
through cash, check, credit card, or salary deduction in person or
through any University Cashier’s Office.

Visit HYPERLINK "http://www.ateneo.edu/Giving"www.ateneo.edu/Giving for
details.

We Have All Been So Blessed; Time to Pass the Blessings On.

11/27/2006