[Blueboard] Cafe Scientifique at Shangri-la Figaro

maricor baytion alunsina2005 at yahoo.com
Tue Nov 21 11:20:04 PHT 2006

    You are warmly invited to

Cafe Scientifique
a conversation about bridging the sciences and the humanities

Saturday, November 25, 2006
4 to 6 pm
Figaro, Shangri-La Plaza Mall Level 3
EDSA cor Shaw Blvd., Mandaluyong City

With

Maria Isabel Garcia
author of
Science Solitaire: Essays on Science, Nature and Becoming Human

Bencab, artist
Jerrold Garcia, physicist
Emy Liwag, cognitive scientist
Krip Yuson, poet/fictionist
Panelists

  Mitzi Borromeo
Host

  Presented by the Ateneo de Manila University Press
In cooperation with Figaro Coffee Company, Ambiance One Furniture, FunD'Mentals and Shangri-La Plaza Mall

  (RSVP Vangie at 4266001 ext 4613; 4265984; unipress at admu.edu.ph)

  About the Book

Science Solitaire is a mind dance with nature's cards, in a style and lens that could help us see that science is alive -- as it inhabits not just classrooms and textbooks but also our everyday lives. It consists of pieces of discovery that try to reveal the possible connections between the snippets of understanding we gain from science and our journey toward becoming human. What happens to our brains when we are happy, when we delight in music or food or other pleasurable pursuits? What lurks behind the awesome powers of some creatures with whom we inhabit this planet? What is  E=mc2and why is it the most popular icon for scientific ideas?

Some of the pieces here are about the classical scientific ideas that we know about or have always thought we understood and some are on ideas that we may have always wanted to understand. A good number of pieces here are about new ideas that may behoove us to rethink our long-held views about nature. The spirit of this mind dance aims to help us rediscover science in gaining new eyes of knowing, of understanding, of exploring news ways of being alive. You may begin to read at whatever part of the book you choose. With each one you step into, welcome yourself to your own journey of rediscovery.

About the Author

  Maria Isabel Garcia is a science writer as well as many other things that spring from being such. You can reach her at dererumnaturastar at hotmail.com.

  Science and Society Series
Daniel McNamara, S.J., Series Editor

Please visit the website at http://www.ateneopress.org/detail_socsci.asp?ID=27

------------

  Ateneo de Manila University Press
  Bellarmine Hall, AdMU campus, Loyola Heights, Q.C.
Tel 63-2-4265984; 4266001 ext 4612/3/6
Email: unipress at admu.edu.ph
Visit our website: http://www.ateneopress.org

Nothing can be as fascinating as life---except writing.
                                                                         -Ibn Zerhani

Sponsored Link

Mortgage rates near 39yr lows. $510,000 Mortgage for $1,698/mo -   Calculate new house payment