[Blueboard] Newsbriefs 8 November 2006 Afternoon

Simbahang Lingkod ng Bayan slb at admu.edu.ph
Wed Nov 8 17:10:59 PHT 2006

Newsbriefs 8 November 2006 Afternoon

Simbahang Lingkod ng Bayan

http://www.slb.ph/newsbriefs.htm

2 new resolutions on Charter change to be filed in House (INQ7.net)

"TWO new resolutions will be filed at the House of Representatives to replace one that had been approved by a committee calling for a constituent assembly and containing specific amendments to the 1987 Constitution, a party leader said Wednesday.

Camarines Sur Representative Luis Villafuerte, acting president of the Kabalikat ng Malayang Pilipino (Kampi), disclosed that during Monday's caucus of leaders in the House, they agreed to draft the resolution on the constituent assembly to be presented on the floor next week.

"We will present a new resolution next week calling for the convening of Congress to propose amendments to or revision of the Constitution upon three-fourths vote of all its members," Villafuerte told INQ7.net in a phone interview.

"That's the first step -- calling for the convening of Congress. There will be no proposed amendments yet," Villafuerte said.

He said that the resolution would be presented in the plenary for first reading before this would be referred to the House committee on constitutional amendments for approval.

The second step will be the filing of another resolution, this time containing specific amendments to the Constitution, Villafuerte said."

Villar denies supporting con-ass (abs-cbnNEWS.com)

"Senate President Manuel Villar denied Wednesday reports that he and four other senators supported proposals to amend the Constitution through a constituent assembly (con-ass).

Villar said he and four other senators did not comment during the Legislative-Executive Development Advisory Council (LEDAC) meeting, which discussed a proposal to change the Charter.

"I don't remember saying anything like that. I don't know where [Presidential Chief of Staff Michael Defensor] got that statement. We maintain our position that we do not support Charter change (or) con-ass," he told ANC.

He said Sen. Juan Ponce Enrile's resolution for a con-ass backs separate voting for Senate and House members on the Charter change proposal. He added that the resolution calls for a con-ass after the 2007 elections.

"What I've been saying is that Charter change can be discussed but it should be tackled with transparency and at the right time. It should abide by the Constitution," he said. "

Imee, Noynoy, Trillanes join opposition senatorial lineup (abs-cbnNEWS.com)

"Former president Joseph Estrada has chosen two scions of the Aquino and Marcos families and a former spokesman of the Magdalo rebel group for possible inclusion on the opposition's tentative list of senatorial candidates for the 2007 elections, a spokesman said Wednesday.

Lawyer Rufus Rodriguez said the former president picked Navy Lt. Senior Grade Antonio Trillanes as a possible senatorial candidate. He said the former president included Trillanes on the extended list for sticking to his principles.

Trillanes was one of the young officers who led the failed plot to oust President Arroyo in July 2003.

Rodriguez said two opposition lawmakers namely Ilocos Norte Rep. Imee Marcos and Tarlac Rep. Benigno "Noynoy" Aquino III have also been included on the extended list.

Estrada earlier announced the opposition's tentative lineup of senatorial candidates for the coming elections.

The lineup includes Senate President Manuel Villar, Sen. Francis Pangilinan, Sen. Ralph Recto, former senators Gregorio Honasan, Loren Legarda, Tessie Aquino-Oreta, John Osmeña and Tito Sotto; House Minority Leader Francis Escudero, Taguig-Pateros Rep. Alan Peter Cayetano and lawyer Aquilino Pimentel III."

Another civilian DND secretary urged (abs-cbnNEWS.com)

"A former Philippine Army chief on Wednesday advised President Arroyo to appoint another civilian free of vested interests and who feels the sentiments of soldiers to replace resigned Defense Secretary Avelino Cruz.

"Especially this time, I think [a candidate's] qualifications [are very important] but because of Secretary Cruz's style of leadership, we realize that a civilian gives balance to the military mind," retired Lt. Gen. Jaime de los Santos told DZMM.

De los Santos said a civilian's leadership is needed in the military after the botched uprising by a group of soldiers in July 2003.

The group, dubbed the Magdalo, accused then Defense Secretary Angelo Reyes of selling firearms to Moro rebels in Mindanao. Reyes resigned after the uprising and was replaced by Cruz, Mrs. Arroyo's former chief legal counsel.

"The Magdalo soldiers realized that a civilian gives balance to the DND (Department of National Defense)," de los Santos added."

Senator, poll exec in US to observe automated polls (INQ7.net)

"ELECTIONS Commissioner Resurreccion Borra and Senator Richard Gordon are in the United States to observe the automated elections there, a staff member of the senator said Wednesday.

Borra was sponsored by the United States Agency for International Development on the invitation of the International Foundation for Electoral System. He is set to return on November 15, the staff member said.

Gordon, sponsor of the automated election system (AES) bill, is also in the US to meet with various technology providers, the staff member said, adding the senator will be back this week.

The Philippine version of AES will still be debated at the bicameral conference committee, as the Senate passed its own version in early October.

The modernization of the electoral system is one of the priority programs of President Gloria Macapagal-Arroyo.

The US is holding its mid-term elections in the congressional and local levels."