[Blueboard] ACAS 4th Conference: DEMOCRACIES IN ASIA -- Political Processes, Memories, Rights and Tradition

Ateneo Center for Asian Studies acas at admu.edu.ph
Mon May 22 13:20:12 PHT 2006

Ateneo Center for Asian Studies
4th Conference

DEMOCRACIES IN ASIA
Political Processes, Memories, Rights and Tradition
(FIRST LIMITED ANNOUNCEMENT)
25 August 2006  |  SEC ESCALER HALL, ATENEO DE MANILA UNIVERSITY

REGISTRATION FEES
EARLY BIRD (payable no later than 21 July 2006)  Php800
Please make check payable to Ateneo de Manila University

REGULAR  Php1,000

SPECIAL FEE FOR TEACHERS WHO WILL BRING STUDENTS: We will waive the
registration fee of a teacher who will bring at least ten students who will
pay P200 each. We request that the teacher collects the fees from the students.

The fees are to cover meals and conference kit.

TENTATIVE SCHEDULE

MORNING SESSION  (8:00 - 10:50 a.m.)

8:00 - 10:00 a.m.    	Registration

10:00 - 10:10 a.m.	Invocation
	                Welcome Remarks

10:10 -10:20 a.m.	Book Launch
	                Negotiating Globalization in Asia
	                (ACAS 2006)

10:20 –10:50 a.m.	Coffee Break

SESSION 1. POLITICAL PROCESSES

10:50 – 11:10 a.m.	Village Committee Elections in the PRC: A Means to
                        Strengthen CCP Domination?
	                JORGE EDUARDO MALENA
                        Universidad del Salvador, Argentina

11:10 – 11:30 a.m.	The Iraqi Political Process: What Lies Beneath?
	                MARIA INÉS PAMPÍN
	                Universidad del Salvador, Argentina

11:30 – 11:50 a.m.	How Should a Genuine Public Governance Work under
                        a “Rule of Law” Regime: A Glance at Some Experience of
                        Asian Countries
	                ALLAN JOSE VILLARANTE
	                Philippines House of Representatives

11:50 - 12:20 p.m.	Open Forum

12:20 - 1:30 p.m.	Lunch

SESSION 2.  REMEMBERING AND FORGETTING

1:30 – 1:50 p.m.	Popular, Partisan, Pacifist and Patriotic Voices: The
                        Changing Terrain of Japanese Security Debate
	                ROSALIE ARCALA HALL
	                University of the Philippines-Visayas

1:50 – 2:10 p.m.	After Seni Rupa Baru: Emergence of Contemporary
                        Curators in Post-Suharto Indonesia
	                PATRICK FLORES
	                University of the Philippines-Diliman

2:10 – 2:30 p.m.	Between Remembering and Forgetting: Cambodia and the
                        Khmer Rouge Genocide Trial
	                MEYNARDO MENDOZA
	                Ateneo de Manila University

2:30 – 3:00 p.m. 	Open Forum

3:00 – 3:30 p.m.	Coffee Break

SESSION 3. DEMOCRATIZATION, RIGHTS & TRADITION

3:30 – 3:50 p.m.	Entrenching Indigenous People’s Rights in the
                        Philippines and Taiwan: The Highest Stage of
                        Democratization?
	                SEVERO MADRONA JR.
	                Ateneo de Manila University

3:50 – 4:10 p.m.	Walking versus Running for Office: Religion,
                        Development, and Democracy in the Philippines and India
	                JOVINO MIROY
	                Ateneo de Manila University

4:10 – 4:30 p.m.	Tradition and Democracy in the Central Asian Republics
	                ISABEL STANGANELLI
	                Universidad del Salvador, Argentina

4:30 – 5:00 p.m.	Open Forum

5:00  p.m.	        Closing Remarks

For inquiries, please call 426-6001 (locals 5209 c/o Ritch and 5248 c/o
Marian) or email to <acas at admu.edu.ph>.

REPLY FORM
Please fax or return on or before Friday, 21 July 2006 if you wish to avail of
the early bird fee, or  Monday, 14 August 2006 if you wish to avail of the
special fee for teachers who will bring at least ten students.

To	:	ATENEO CENTER FOR ASIAN STUDIES
		Fax No. (632) 426-6001 local 5280

From	:	_________________________         _________________________
		Title (Dr/Prof/Mr/Mrs/Ms)             Printed Name

	Position	:	_______________________________________________

	Affiliation	:	_______________________________________________

	Mailing Address	:	_______________________________________________

	Phone	        :	_______________________________________________

	Fax	        :	_______________________________________________

	Email	        :	_______________________________________________

	Mobile	        :	_______________________________________________

___	I will attend the conference on “Asian Democracies.”

[     ]  Enclosed is a check of Php800 for my early bird fee

[     ]  I will pay during the conference — Php1,000 (regular fee)

[     ]  I will avail of the special fee for teachers who can bring at least
         ten students at the conference.  Enclosed please find the list of
         students together with the payment.

	(Php200 x ______ number of students  = P__________ total amount )

___	I regret that I will not be able to attend the conference.

The fees are to cover meals and conference kit.  For inquiries, you may
contact ACAS at 426-6001 locals 5209 c/o Ritch and 5248 c/o Marian or email at
<acas at admu.edu.ph>.

LYDIA N. YU-JOSE, Ph.D.
Director
ATENEO CENTER FOR ASIAN STUDIES (ACAS)

School of Social Sciences, Loyola Schools
3rd Floor, Social Sciences Building
Loyola Heights, Quezon City 1108
PHILIPPINES
Tel. :  (632) 426-6001 locals 5208, 5209
Fax  :  (632) 426-6001 local 5280
Email:  acas at admu.edu.ph or
        ateneocenter4asianstudies at yahoo.com