[Blueboard] Working Children: who and how are they?

Intersect intersec at admu.edu.ph
Wed May 10 14:39:55 PHT 2006

Working Children: who and how are they?

We see them toiling under the scorching sun collecting plastic bottles to
resell to junk shops. We see them in parking areas of malls helping motorists
park their vehicles. They are everywhere except in school where they should
actually be.

The Institute on Church and Social Issues (ICSI), an organization and
community of professional researchers based at the Ateneo de Manila
University, presents a general picture of these children in its third
Occasional Paper. Titled “Philippine Working Children,” the paper articulates
the condition of these children including their perception of work. It also
looks into how the government and nongovernment agencies address issues
surrounding child labor.

Other occasional papers in the series discuss the state of CARP
implementation, housing issues and migrant issues. The occasional papers sell
for P50 a copy.

Call us at 426-6001 local 4665 or e-mail us at intersec at admu.edu.ph for your
orders or queries. You can also drop by our office at the 2/F Benigno Mayo
Hall, Social Development Complex, Ateneo de Manila University, Loyola Heights,
Quezon City, and look for Chayie or Didith. #