[Blueboard] Possible Worlds in Impossible Spaces, at the 10th Philippine Academic Bookfair

maricor baytion alunsina2005 at yahoo.com
Mon Jul 10 12:49:17 PHT 2006

Possible Worlds in Impossible Spaces: Knowledge, Globality, Gender and Information Technology in the Philippines, by Czarina Saloma-Akpedonu, is a pioneering work that shows how we can think about information technology.

  By looking at Filipino intermediate developers who create IT products needed by everyday users using frameworks and infrastructure created elsewhere, this book illuminates two relatively new worlds in Philippine society: One refers to technological spheres where women participate in; the other hosts global-local technological encounters. These worlds challenge notions from the new international division of labor that looks at the Philippines as a site of assembly and its women as assembly-line workers. The existence of "possible worlds" in an "impossible space," or heterotopia, likewise gains a special meaning when creativity and ingenuity in the Philippine IT prosper despite the lack of state-regulated policy and implementation mechanisms.

  Dr. Saloma-Akpedonu teaches at the Department of Sociology and Anthropology of the Ateneo de Manila University.

  Possible Worlds in Impossible Spaces is one of the new titles available at the 10th Philippine Academic Bookfair, ongoing until July 14, 2006, 9 am to 7 pm, at the PTA Tent Clamshell 2, General Luna cor Anda Sts. (near Manila Cathedral), Intramuros, Manila (if for some reason the venue is impossible to get to, check the book out at the Ateneo Press bookshop :-) ).

  The academic bookfair features local and foreign publications, as well as seminars for librarians and educators. (E-mail the organizers at virge at uplink.com.ph or call 02-926-4708, 927-9858.)

  Happy browsing!

  (and thanks for posting!)

  Ateneo de Manila University Press
  Bellarmine Hall, AdMU campus, Loyola Heights, Q.C.
Tel 63-2-4265984; 4266001 ext 4612/3/6
Email: unipress at admu.edu.ph
Visit our website: http://www.ateneopress.org

My library is my own mind. A rich library is not what is needed
  but to put in the mind what it contains.
                        - Jose de la Cruz/Huseng Sisiw, 1746-1829