[Blueboard] Newsbriefs 7 July Morning

Simbahang Lingkod ng Bayan slb at admu.edu.ph
Fri Jul 7 10:05:02 PHT 2006


Newsbriefs 7 July Morning

Simbahang Lingkod ng Bayan

http://www.slb.ph/newsbriefs.htm

 

 

Scandal taints choices for AFP chief of staff (The Manila Times)

A strong hint of scandal pervades the list of possible successors to Gen. Generoso Senga as the Armed Forces chief of staff.



Senga retires on July 21 and has been making the rounds of military camps bidding his men goodbye.



The chief of staff is chosen from the heads of the Army, Navy, Air Force and Marines. Traditionally, the Army chief is the strongest contender, so that means Lt. Gen. Hermogenes Esperon is on top of the list.



The other contenders are Vice Adm. Mateo Mayuga, the Navy chief, and Lt. Gen. Jose Reyes of the Air Force.



The common thread running through the three, besides being graduates of the Philippine Military Academy, is that their names have been linked to one controversy or other.



Palace, DoJ get low ratings in survey on corruption (news.inq7.net)



COMPARED TO LAST year, more business managers believe that key government agencies are insincere in fighting corruption, but a declining number of them claim that their companies give bribes to win public sector contracts, the latest Social Weather Stations survey shows.



The 2006 Survey of Enterprises on Corruption reveals that 14 out of 23 agencies got lower ratings for their sincerity in fighting corruption in 2006 than in 2005.



The Department of Justice (DoJ) suffered the largest drop (33 points) from +13 to -20. It was followed by the Office of the President, whose rating plunged 25 points from +10 to -15.



Interestingly, Church officials got the highest sincerity rating.



The score of the Presidential Commission on Good Government, which was criticized recently for trying to reach a compromise deal with the Marcoses, dropped 18 points from +5 to -13.



The net ratings were based on interviews with managers of 700 small- to large-scale enterprises in Metro Manila, Metro Cebu, Metro Davao, Cavite-Laguna-Batangas, and Cagayan de Oro-Iligan.



SWS conducted face-to-face interviews from Feb. 18 to April 27 -- a period covering the declaration of a state of national emergency by President Gloria Macapagal-Arroyo, and the subsequent arrest of some of her critics.

 

Six Magdalo men, lawyer fall in QC raid (www.abs-cbnnews.com)

Six members of the so-called Magdalo group and a lawyer were arrested by police and military agents in a raid in Quezon City before dawn Friday, ABS-CBN News learned.

 

Police identified those arrested as Lieutenants Aldrin Baldonado, Angelbert Gay, Patricio Bumidang, Sonny Sarmiento, Nathaniel Rabonza, a certain Lieutenant Zagaba and a lawyer surnamed Belmonte.

 

Joint operatives of the Intelligence Service of the Armed Forces of the Philippines, Police Anti-Crime Emergency Response and Criminal Investigation and Detection Group swooped down on the rebel junior officers' safehouse on Admiral Street, Filinvest II at 5:30 a.m.

 

Reports said explosives and several rifles were seized from the safehouse.

 

The rebel soldiers have been brought to Camp Crame.

 

Reports said President Arroyo was notified of the arrest and the junior officers will be presented to her in Malacañan.

 

Palace doubts CPP-NPA sincerity in talks (www.philstar.com)
 
Malacañang expressed doubts yesterday over the sincerity of local communist rebels in calling for new peace negotiations with the government, saying the rebels have always used the talks to stage atrocities. 

Executive Secretary Eduardo Ermita said that since 2001, the Arroyo administration has been pushing for peace with various insurgent groups including the Communist Party of the Philippines (CPP) and its armed wing, the New People's Army (NPA), but the National Democratic Front (NDF) has always made a mockery of the talks, forcing the government to retaliate. 

The Malacañang statement came a few days after NDF chairman Luis Jalandoni called for a new round of peace talks following President Arroyo's move to release P1 billion for a renewed offensive against the communist insurgents. 

"Suddenly we receive news that they want to meet us and resume (the peace talks) and the question that immediately comes to mind is that how sincere and determined are they?" Ermita said. "We were not born yesterday and we know this hot and cold treatment that they're doing to the government." 

"If they are really sincere, why don't they agree to a ceasefire?" he said.

 

 

Atrocities creep into Maguindanao fighting (The Manila Times)

ZAMBOANGA CITY - Reports of atrocities have begun to surface in Maguindanao as fighting between militia and rebels of the Moro Islamic Liberation Front (MILF) continued to escalate.



A lone gunman killed the wife of a senior MILF leader implicated in a failed attempt to kill the provincial governor, the military said Thursday. 



The military said Nora Pakiladatu was gunned down shortly before noontime Wednesday in Cotabato City. "The case is under investigation by the Cotabato police," said Capt. Jose Ritche Pabilonia, spokesman for the Southern Command.



The killing of Pakiladatu followed reports that militiamen allegedly executed at least three MILF rebels they had captured.



The woman was the wife of Zaid Pakiladato, deputy chief of the MILF's 105th Base Command in Camp Omar in Shariff Aguak in Maguindanao, where rebels and progovernment militia had been fighting since last week. "This is very sad. You don't kill Muslim women. We condemn the killing," Eid Kabalu, the MILF spokesman, told The Manila Times. 

 
-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
URL: https://lists.ateneo.edu/pipermail/blueboard/attachments/20060707/6aa3f0d7/attachment.html 


More information about the Blueboard mailing list