[Blueboard] Newsbriefs 6 July Afternoon

Simbahang Lingkod ng Bayan slb at admu.edu.ph
Thu Jul 6 17:17:16 PHT 2006


Newsbriefs 6 July Afternoon

Simbahang Lingkod ng Bayan

http://www.slb.ph/newsbriefs.htm

 

Police ready massive security detail for Arroyo SONA (abs-cbnNEWS.com)

"Nearly 9,000 security forces will be deployed in Metro Manila to maintain order when President Arroyo delivers her annual address before Congress later this month, officials said Thursday. 



Some 8,000 policemen and 600 soldiers will fan out around the national capital region to monitor street demonstrations planned by a broad coalition of anti-Arroyo groups who have said they will call for her resignation. 



Director Vidal Querol, chief of the National Capital Region Police Office, said authorities are under orders to break up street demonstrations that fail to get permits.

 

This year's security deployment for Mrs. Arroyo's annual state of the nation address is the biggest so far since she won a hotly contested re-election in 2001. 



"The Metro Manila police will prepare a more elaborate security for the annual SONA (state of the nation address) to be delivered by the president on July 24," Querol told reporters." 



Arroyo condemns North Korea missile tests (abs-cbnNEWS.com)


"President Arroyo on Thursday condemned North Korea's missile launches and urged the Stalinist state not to conduct any further tests. 



"In solidarity with the international community, the Philippines condemns the missile tests of North Korea," Arroyo said in a statement, urging Pyongyang to "refrain from further compromising the peace and security of the region and the world." 



Arroyo said the Philippines, a member of the UN Security Council and a key military ally of the United States in Southeast Asia, would "be at the forefront of supporting moves to ensure world security." 



North Korea test-fired six missiles including a long-range Taepodong-2, which crashed shortly after launch, triggering criticism from its worried Asian neighbors and condemnation led by the United States." 



Calderon names three PNP brass to new posts (abs-cbnNEWS.com)


"Deputy Director Gen. Oscar Calderon, newly installed Philippine National Police chief, announced Thursday the appointment of three senior officials to their new positions, DZMM reported. 



Calderon designated Deputy Director Gen. Avelino Razon Jr. as the new deputy chief for administration, Deputy Director Gen. Isidro Lapeña as deputy chief for operations and Police Director Antonio Billones as chief of the directorial staff. 



Razon is the former deputy chief for operations. His name cropped up during the nomination for the PNP chief position. 



Lapeña was the chief of the directorial staff, while Billones was the PNP director for operations. 



Calderon said the reshuffle is in line with the programs that he will implement during his 15-month term." 



Embassy officer confirms Gaa assignment to Washington (INQ7.net)



"AN officer of the Philippine embassy in Washington has confirmed that Consul General Willy Gaa of the Los Angeles consulate has been assigned charge d' affaires or acting ambassador to the US capital.



"Yes, that's confirmed," Philippine embassy press officer Patricia Paez said in a long distance interview with INQ7.net early Thursday morning.



But Paez also said the embassy had not yet received any written communication about Gaa's transfer, although outgoing Ambassador Alberto Del Rosario had already been informed by Foreign Affairs Secretary Alberto Romulo of the development.



Del Rosario's tour of duty ends July 8, but Paez said Gaa would move to Washington on July 15."



Señeres backtracks on names of plotters (abs-cbnNEWS.com)

"Former ambassador Roy Señeres on Thursday backtracked on his earlier statement linking a number of prominent people to the failed February coup attempt.



Señeres told DZMM he has no "first-hand knowledge" that former executive secretary Oscar Orbos, former defense secretary Renato de Villa, ABC-5 chairman 



Tonyboy Cojuangco, construction mogul FF Cruz Jr. and Iñigo Zobel were among those who encouraged Army Brig. Gen. Danilo Lim to withdraw support for President Arroyo.



Señeres said he never personally saw these individuals talking to Lim.



He said, however, he stands by his earlier call to other civilians involved in the coup plot to come out and be proud of what they did.



Meanwhile, Orbos denied any involvement in the coup plot saying he was never part of any plan to head a "transitional council" to replace the Arroyo administration."

 
-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
URL: https://lists.ateneo.edu/pipermail/blueboard/attachments/20060706/8b968bc4/attachment.html 


More information about the Blueboard mailing list