[Blueboard] Newsbriefs 4 July Afternoon

Simbahang Lingkod ng Bayan slb at admu.edu.ph
Tue Jul 4 17:06:47 PHT 2006

Newsbriefs 4 July Afternoon

Simbahang Lingkod ng Bayan

http://www.slb.ph/newsbriefs.htm

Erap party to boycott 2007 polls

"Ex-president Joseph Estrada said Tuesday his Puwersa ng Masang Pilipino (PMP) party will boycott the 2007 polls unless all election commissioners are replaced.

Estrada said keeping the present Commission on Elections (COMELEC) commissioners would lead to more cheating in next year's election.

He added that the PMP is still picking candidates for the coming polls. He said ex-senator Loren Legarda could be on the lineup.

Estrada earlier told DZMM he does not intend to reclaim the presidency he has lost once the Sandiganbayan clears him of plunder charges.

He said he will leave it to the people to choose whoever they want in Malacañan. "Susuporta na lang tayo [I will just support the decision]," he said."

Bill seeks to ban naming public facilities after politicos (news inq7.net))

"A BILL that seeks to criminalize the naming of public roads, schools, government buildings, health centers or public comfort rooms after politicians who facilitated the construction of these facilities has been filed at the House of Representatives.

Bayan Muna Representative Teodoro Casiño, who filed House Bill 5489, said there was "no moral justification" to name public properties and facilities after politicians or political families since these projects were financed by the taxpayers.

The bill seeks to prevent the use of the names of politicians or their relatives for roads, canals, rivers, torrents, ports and bridges, banks, shores, roadsteads, and other similar public facilities in any part of the country.

It proposes a fine ranging from 20,000 pesos to 50,000 pesos for the first offense; 50 000 pesos to 70 000 pesos and temporary disqualification from holding public office for the second offense; and 100, 000 pesos to 300, 000 pesos and absolute perpetual disqualification from public office for the third offense."

'Subic rape case won't affect RP-US ties' - envoy (news.inq7.net)

"FOR all the sentiments it has aroused, the Subic rape case will not adversely affect Filipino-American friendship.

This was the prediction of US Ambassador to the Philippines Kristie Kenney on Tuesday, the 4th of July, which also marked the 60th anniversary of Filipino-American friendship. Kenney said Filipino-American relations are "stronger than ever...The issue is being resolved legally and in a legal manner. It shows a mature relationship between our two countries."

Kenny, who cut the ribbon for a photo exhibit and musical revue at the Department of Foreign Affairs to commemorate the day, also dismissed suggestions the relationship between the two countries was "love-hate."

"I have served in many parts of the world; there has not been a place where we most think alike," she said.

In a speech that kicked off July 4 activities, Kenney said the 60-year partnership between the two countries was "a real testament to history and we built (it) together. We are partners in progress because of our strong shared history."

NDF asks Norway for help in peace talks (www.abs-cbnnews.com)

"Exiled Philippines communist leaders said Tuesday they have asked Norway to help convince President Arroyo to restart peace talks and call off an offensive against the Maoist guerrillas.

The rebels' Netherlands-based political wing, the National Democratic Front, said it sent its top leadership to Oslo on Monday for four days of consultations with the Norwegian foreign ministry.

"The consultations shall deal with the possibility of resuming the formal talks while President Arroyo is still in power," NDF chief Luis Jalandoni said in a statement.

The delegation also wants Norway to convince Manila to respect agreements between Manila and the rebels concerning respect for civil rights, "in the face of rampant gross human rights violations in the Philippines," he added."

Women religious reject charter change, slam killings (news.inq7.net)

"THE Association of Major Religious Superiors of Women in the Philippines (AMRSWP) has come out strongly against attempts to amend the Constitution through the controversial people's initiative and denounce the unabated murders of activists and journalists.

"We are indignant at the deception and manipulation with which the Cha-Cha is being forced on us in defiance of the Constitution and misusing the concept of people's initiative all for the perpetuation of those in power," the group, which counts 114 women religious congregations in the country, said in a statement posted Tuesday on the website of the Catholic Bishops Conference of the Philippines.

The statement was issued June 29, after the AMRSWP's annual assembly at the Capuchin Retreat Center in Lipa City.

The AMRSWP also rejected suggestions by charter change proponents to call off next year's elections and called on people "to be vigilant in opposing this utter disregard for legal processes and genuine people's participation."

The group said they feared that proposals to change the Constitution and the system of government are intended "to open our national patrimony to foreign ownership" and remove provisions "that shield the civil liberties of citizens."

Typhoon Ester threatens Cagayan (www.abs-cbnnews.com)

"The Philippine Atmospheric, Geophysical and Astronomical Services Administration (PAGASA) said Tuesday typhoon Ester has maintained its strength as it continues to move in a northwest direction.

At 10:30 a.m., PAGASA said Ester was plotted based on satellite and surface data at 1,230 km east of Infanta, Quezon with maximum sustained winds of 150 kph and gustiness of up to 185 kph.

It is forecast to move northwest at 15 kph.

On Wednesday morning PAGASA said the typhoon is expected to be 840 km east of Tuguegarao, Cagayan and on Thursday morning 670 km east northeast of Aparri, Cagayan.

The state weather bureau said the disturbance is expected to enhance the southwest monsoon that will bring rains over the western sections of Central and Southern Luzon, Visayas and Mindanao."