[Blueboard] Newsbriefs 3 July Afternoon

Simbahang Lingkod ng Bayan slb at admu.edu.ph
Mon Jul 3 16:52:21 PHT 2006

Newsbriefs 3 July Afternoon

Simbahang Lingkod ng Bayan

http://www.slb.ph/newsbriefs.htm

Bunye hits CBCP meddling in impeach bid (www.abs-cbnnews.com)

"Press Secretary Ignacio Bunye criticized Monday Archbishop Angel Lagdameo's statement that Catholic bishops should intervene in the impeachment process against President Arroyo since it involves morality issues.

Bunye, who is also the President's spokesman, said Malacañan had always respected the statements of Lagdameo, head of the Catholic Bishops' Conference of the Philippines, on matters of public concern.

Bunye, however, said that Lagdameo is wrong this time.

"The charges raised on impeachment are not morality issues but plain and simple political harassment leveled against the [President]," Bunye said in a statement."

Communist leader asks gov't to resume peace talks (news.inq7.net)

"THE GOVERNMENT should resume peace negotiations with the communist rebels, a negotiator for the insurgents said Monday, as the military gears for an all-out war against them.

National Democratic Front (NDF) Chief Negotiator Luis Jalandoni aired the appeal nearly two years after the leftists pulled out of the peace talks with government to protest their inclusion in the United States and European Union's lists of terrorist groups.

The NDF is the umbrella organization of the Communist Party of the Philippines and its armed wing, the New People's Army.

Quoting from a joint communiqué with opposition Senator Maria Ana Consuelo "Jamby" Madrigal, Jalandoni said the all-out war with the NPA was "not the answer but in fact would lead to further economic ruin and further escalate human rights violations."

"Stop the killings. Resume formal peace talks directed at addressing the social roots of the armed conflicts," Jalandoni said in a
statement."

Arroyo: Gov't winning fight against dirty money (news.inq7.net)

"THE PHILIPPINES is making strides against money launderers, freezing more than one billion pesos in suspected dirty money and filing about a hundred cases since a 2001 law was enacted, President Gloria Macapagal-Arroyo said Monday.

Addressing the annual meeting of Asia Pacific officials in charge of cracking down on money laundering and terrorist financing, Arroyo said the Philippines' Anti-Money Laundering Council has also released close to 600 million pesos to victims of swindling and fraud.

The country's Supreme Court has designated 56 courts all over the country to handle money laundering cases, she added.

"The recent conviction of money launderers -- one a criminal conviction and three forfeiture of laundered assets -- proves that our system works," she told the Asia Pacific Group on Money Laundering, which has 32 member countries including Australia, Japan and the United States.

"We have to remain vigilant, united and committed, and I am confident to see from this group that there will always be people like you who will stand in the way of evil."

Lafayette awaits OK to restart Rapu-Rapu mine (www.abs-cbnnews.com)

"SYDNEY - Lafayette Mining Ltd. said Monday it was awaiting final approval to restart a copper and gold mine in Rapu-Rapu, Albay, after it was shut for pollution violations last year.

Australia-listed Lafayette in June paid a fine of P10.4 million ($195,500) imposed by the government after two cyanide spills in 2005 at the mine.

Lafayette said the Mines Rehabilitation Fund committee overseeing the mine's clean-up work had passed a resolution on June 29 confirming the company had complied with a set of pre-conditions before operations could restart.

Lafayette said two weeks ago the Department of Environmental and Natural Resources had verified the company's remedial environmental measures and that a temporary lifting order allowing operations to restart on a 30-day trial would be issued."

New labor chief to focus on OFWs, anti-illegal recruitment (news.inq7.net)

"INCOMING Labor Secretary Arturo Brion has laid down the thrust of his administration, which is principally to continue to promote Filipino manpower in the overseas market with focus on anti-illegal recruitment.

In his first press conference as labor secretary on Monday, Brion said he would continue with his predecessor Patricia Sto. Tomas' 2006 plans and programs until the end of the year, "with some fine-tuning and new initiatives." He said he would try to meet the employment target of one million jobs a year.

"We should seriously focus on illegal recruitment. I won't say that not enough is being done but we should fine-tune the efforts in illegal recruitment," he said.

"On overseas employment, we will focus on marketing, marketing, marketing. That's why we will talk with our labor attaches and the Department of Foreign Affairs," said Brion, who was also undersecretary for special concerns at the foreign office."

Congress to honor Pacquiao anew (news.inq7.net)

"FOR being "one of the greatest fighters of Asia and the world," Manny Pacquiao will be honored anew by the House of Representatives.

Pacquiao is the only Filipino athlete to be awarded the Congressional Medal of Achievement, the highest decoration given by the House to outstanding men and women who have made significant contributions in the arts, politics, leadership, social justice and sports.

He was given the award last year.

The House, however, is set to summon him again when Congress resumes session late this month to receive a commendation following the Filipino champion's 12-round unanimous victory over Mexican fighter Oscar Larios on Sunday."