[Blueboard] Watch and Pray: Magmalasakit para sa Bayan, Dec. 17

Benjamin T. Tolosa, Jr. btolosa at ateneo.edu
Fri Dec 15 07:38:50 PHT 2006

Dear Colleagues,

Archbishop Angel Lagdameo, D.D., the Ateneo de Manila University
community is sending a contingent to the prayer assembly on Sunday, Dec.
17, 2-5 pm at the Luneta Grandstand where we will join other CEAP
schools(see memo below from Fr. Bienvenido Nebres, S.J., University
President).

Assembly time and place:  12 noon, Xavier Hall (administration building)
                          Ateneo de Manila, Loyola Heights campus

Departure for Luneta: 12:45 pm

Buses have been reserved to bring Ateneo participants to Luneta and back
to the Loyola campus by around 6 pm.

Please wear Ateneo or blue shirts and bring your University IDs for easy
identification by our marshals. Participants are also advised to bring
water and snacks.

No banners, streamers and placards will be allowed at the prayer assembly
site in Luneta.

Thank you.

Benjamin T. Tolosa, Jr., Ph.D.
Chair, School Forum
Loyola Schools

MEMO TO:         THE UNIVERSITY COMMUNITY

FROM:            THE PRESIDENT

SUBJECT:         WATCH AND PRAY: MAGMALASAKIT PARA SA BAYAN
                 Sunday, 17 December 2006, 2-5 pm Luneta Grandstand

"As a Church, we need to respond not only individually but more
collectively to our country's social problems since they are deeply
rooted in the social system." (PCP-II,# 240)

The gravity of Charter Change and its perceived consequences for our
country... demand rational discernment, discussion and debate, not in
turbulence but in serenity, peace and unity.

+Angel N. Lagdameo, D.D.
Archbishop of Jaro
President, Catholic Bishops Conference of the Philippines (CBCP)
December 8, 2006

Angel Lagdameo, calling for national Watch and Pray gatherings in all
major cities and dioceses of the country, I am inviting our entire
university community -- administrators, faculty, professionals, staff,
alumni, students and parents -- to join this prayer assembly on December
17, 2-5 pm at the Luneta.

This Church-led activity is undertaken to express opposition to the hasty
and manipulative way Charter Change is being pursued, to promote
continuing vigilance, and to pray for our political leaders and country.
There will be a concelebrated mass to be presided by His Eminence
Gaudencio Cardinal Rosales, D.D., Archbishop of Manila.

The Ateneo position on constitutional change has followed closely the
stand of the bishops that "Charter change can only be morally justifiable
if the revisions being proposed will lead to authentic reforms and
development for the nation...towards principled politics, transparency
and accountability, electoral and institutional reform, and more
efficient delivery of services to the people, especially the poorest."
(CBCP, April 2006).

We share the position that change in the fundamental law, even through a
Constitutional Convention, should be premised on extensive public
education and discussion on the issue, a revamp of the Comelec, and an
electoral system that would ensure broad representation from all sectors
of Philippine society.

We support the building and strengthening of democratic institutions, and
invite our community, especially our youth, to participate actively in
the May 2007 elections.

The Ateneo de Manila contingent will join other CEAP schools at the Luneta
Grandstand.  Assembly will be at 12 noon in Xavier Hall (administration
building), Loyola Heights campus.  Transportation to and from Luneta will
be provided.  Buses will leave the Ateneo at 1 pm and will be back by
around 6 pm.

Banners, streamers and placards will not be allowed at the Luneta.  Our
participants are asked to wear Ateneo/blue shirts and bring their
university IDs for easy identification by our marshals from the Simbahang
Lingkod ng Bayan, OSCI and Ateneo Sanggunian.

                                                BIENVENIDO F. NEBRES, S.J.