[Blueboard] Noise Barrage vs. Con-Ass, Dec. 11 (Monday), 4:30 pm

Benjamin T. Tolosa, Jr. btolosa at ateneo.edu
Sat Dec 9 09:10:06 PHT 2006

May I invite the Ateneo de Manila University community join a Noise
Barrage along Katipunan Avenue to protest the attempt to force a patently
self-serving Charter Change by convening a House-only Constituent
Assembly (Con-Ass). No less than CBCP President Archbishop Angel Lagdameo
has called this move "fraudulently illegitimate and scandalously immoral."

We shall assemble at the Colayco Pavilion of the MVP Center at 4:30 pm,
December 11, Monday.  The Ateneo Sanggunian is spearheading the
mobilization of students.  We will be joined by civil society
organizations under the umbrella of CODE-NGO who will assemble at the ISO
grounds.

Please keep posted for announcements regarding the assembly for the
prayer-rally organized by the CEAP-PPCRV-MAPSA by mid-week.  This is the
"Watch and Pray gathering" against Con-Ass at Rizal Park which the CBCP
President has endorsed (see below).  It was originally scheduled for Dec.
15 but latest word is that it will be moved to Sunday, Dec. 17, 3 pm. We
will make announcements regarding the details after the meeting to
finalize plans on Tuesday.

Thank you for your attention and support.

Benjamin T. Tolosa, Jr., Ph.D.
Chair, School Forum
Loyola Schools
Ateneo de Manila University
Loyola Heights, Quezon City 1108
Philippines

email: btolosa at ateneo.edu, benjtolosa at gmail.com
telefax: (632) 426-0906
trunkline: (632) 426-6001, ext. 5250, 5251

WATCH AND PRAY
Magmalasakit Para sa Bayan

"As Church, we need to respond not only individually but more collectively
to our country's social problems since they are deeply rooted in the
social system." (PCP-II, #240)

"But beyond its being a social and political resource, the Church is first
and foremost a light that illumines a spiritual force that needs to
critique the social, political and cultural fields in order to affirm,
denounce, purify or reinforce in the light of the World of God."
(PCP-II, #248)

Premised on the above PCP-II Statements, in celebration of the Year of
Social Concern within the Advent Season, we issue this Pastoral
Exhortation:  "Watch and Pray:  Magmalasakit Para sa Bayan." Asked and
challenged by concerned people on how to respond to a perceived
development of a "constitutional crisis,  there is need to respond more
collectively to the present crisis produced by the prospect of Charter
Change by Administration Congressmen desperately bent on creating
themselves into a Constituent Assembly.

We need to be vigilant.  The temptation to manipulate and to hold on to
power endangers the common good and the safety of the greatest number.
We need to watch and pray, to offer sacrifice for the country.
In this spirit, we are proposing a NATIONAL WATCH AND PRAY GATHERING, in
all major cities or dioceses in order to express our opposition to the
hasty and manipulative way CON-ASS is being pursued or undertaken for
Charter Change.  Not only do we need to WATCH (critique, denounce,
purify) but above all we need to PRAY for the enlightenment of our
leaders in government.

As suggested, there should be no streamers or flags of any group allowed
except streamers with the following message:

  NO TO CONSTITUENT ASSEMBLY
  YES TO CONSTITUTIONAL CONVENTION
  NO POSTPONMENT OF MAY 2007 ELECTIONS

The message shall be communicated in prayer and songs. No rowdy speeches.
As PCP-II #240 has it, we are doing this as Church responding
collectively to our country's social problems, in particular the
crisis-laden prospect of a hasty Charter Change.

The gravity of Charter Change and its perceived consequences for our
country, the shift in the form of government demand rational discernment,
discussion and debate, not in turbulence but in serenity, peace and unity.
In this Advent Season, may we the Filipino people be ready at any time to
welcome into our hearts, our homes, our government institutions as well
as Christian communities, JESUS CHRIST, THE RETURNING KING.

For the Catholic Bishops' Conference of the Philippines,
+ANGEL N. LAGDAMEO, D.D.
Archbishop of Jaro
President, CBCP
December 8, 2006