[Blueboard] I realized I wanted to help people help themselves.

Christopher Peabody cpeabody at ateneo.edu
Mon Dec 4 11:03:00 PHT 2006

Those who might be left behind

Every week, we meet some very brave and loving parents, students,
faculty, and staff who come to the Annual Fund office for help.
Here are some of their real stories.
 Your gifts to the Annual Fund mean that we can help them get through
tough times.

“I realized I wanted to help people help themselves.”

Many of our finest students are also under the heaviest financial stress
and face giving up. One such LS student is J., a Developmental Studies
junior. Her long term goal is rural development after she graduates. “I
noticed that few are interested in rural development. I hope to be able
to make a difference back in my province,” she says.

J. discovered D.S. during her first year in the Ateneo, when she
volunteered at Pathways and found she was happiest when she was doing
social work: “I realized I wanted to help people help themselves.”
She promptly shifted to D.S.
 This summer, she hopes to intern at the International Institute of
Rural Reconstruction for her practicum.

Being of service to others is not new to her. Her father, a rural doctor
specializing in family medicine, went on medical missions every month.
Her mother served as an advocate of natural family planning for US-AID’s
Institute of Reproductive Health (IRH) for several years.

However, their family has fallen on hard times.
First, J’s elder brother, born with congenital heart disease, is now on
his fourth pacemaker since age 5.
He had to undergo surgery a few months ago to replace his failing
pacemaker.
In May, her older sister, an industrial engineer in Vancouver, required
emergency surgery and has been out of work ever since.
Then in June, her mother’s work with IRH ended.

Now add to this is the fact that their family was one of many casualties
of the collapse of a pre-need firm taking away all they had invested for
their children’s education.
The company’s promise to return their investments by 2010 is of little
relief now.

Given the high cost of health care and the loss of their pre-need
support, it has become extremely difficult for J. to stay in the Ateneo.

J. was referred to the Annual Fund by Leland Dela Cruz, J. hopes to
bridge the gap with short term tuition assistance and apply for one of
the precious scholarships for enrolled students.

The Annual Fund can only help if those who can afford to give decide
today to share their blessings.

Real help can come from small, regular gifts from many people!

The Ateneo Annual Fund (AAF) ultimate goal is that No One Is Left
Behind.

As one loving, caring Ateneo community, it is important for us to help
each other during our time of need.
We have been able to help students in all the units, but the need has
grown faster than the donations!

Please consider making a small regular gift to the Ateneo Annual Fund,
through cash, check, credit card, or salary deduction in person or
through any University Cashier’s Office.

Visit HYPERLINK "http://www.ateneo.edu/Giving"www.ateneo.edu/Giving for
details.

We Have All Been So Blessed, Time to Pass the Blessings On.

12/3/2006