[Blueboard] ACELT Conference

acelt at admu.edu.ph acelt at admu.edu.ph
Thu Aug 17 16:54:45 PHT 2006

ACELT 36TH BI-ANNUAL CONFERENCE

The Ateneo Center for English Language Teaching (ACELT) invites English
teachers of all levels to participate in a seminar workshop geared towards a
more critical and reflective view of English language teaching within a second
language context.  The hands-on seminar will deal with principles and
practices to facilitate language acquisition, issues of language assessment
for the ESL classroom, among others.

	The seminar, which is entitled Context, Culture, and Communication:
Teaching ESL in the 21st Century, is slated for Saturday, 9 September 2006.
Registration fee is PhP1,400 with discounts for large groups (at least five
(5) participants) or early bird registration (PhP 1,200 by  5 September
2006).

	Keynote address will be delivered by Jane Lockwood, Ph.D., Director of
Education, FuturePerfect, and Head of the Centre for Language in Education,
Hong Kong Institute of Education.

ACELT together with British Council invites English teachers to take the TKT
(TEACHING KNOWLEDGE TEST), an international Cambridge ESOL certification. TKT
details will be presented by the BRITISH COUNCIL during the ACELT conference.

In addition ACELT would also like to invite all English teachers to join
Association for English Research and Teaching in the Philippines (ASSERT).
More details will be presented during the conference.

	Please contact Vicky Calderon at 426-4322 or 426-6001 local 5315 for
more information.

W O R K SH O P   S E S S I O N S:

WORKSHOP A:  EXPLORING THE READING-WRITING CONNECTION IN THE WRITING CLASS
Marianne G. Perfecto
ESL scholars like Carrel and Eisterhold have established the importance of
activating the readers' background knowledge or schemata in comprehending a
text.  Thus, readers will understand culture-specific texts if they have
enough knowledge and have been guided to activate their schema about the
topic. Similarly, background knowledge "will influence what, and
 how they
write." (Reid 1993)  This workshop will discuss the benefits of integrating
reading in a writing class as well as a framework and lesson that will exploit
the integration of these two skills.

WOKSHOP B:  Helping Students to Listen
Nanette Fernandez
Listening is a primary skill: we all learn a language by first listening to
it. No one denies that good listening strategies make for a better language-
learner.  But how do we develop our students' listening skills?  In this
workshop we will go through different types of listening exercises and explore
ways we can help our students to listen through task-based activities  that
can be incorporated into our lesson plans. The exercises will range from
beginning to advanced levels, and can be adapted to fit our own classes,
regardless of level.

WORKSHOP C:  FLUENCY OR ACCURACY?: DEVELOPING ORAL PROFICIENCY IN THE
LANGUAGE CLASSROOM
Che-che Suarez
Make your students communicate effectively! Explore ESL strategies to develop
learners' confidence to speak fluently and accurately using a balanced
approach to classroom interaction. Let this workshop help you turn your
classroom into a venue of fun and learning by designing speaking activities
that will students of all levels develop their desired level of oral
proficiency.

WORKSHOP D:  Item Writing in the Language Classroom
April Fernandez
Teachers and students depend so much on test results as determining factors
for student progress, achievement and evaluation. To a very large extent,
these test results are used for significant decisions about student learning.
Yet, in the language classroom, there exists a mutual frustration among
students and teachers with tests. Students are unhappy about them and teachers
are disappointed about students’ performance in them. A possible reason for
this can be traced to the quality of test items and rubrics. Answers are vague
and meandering because items and rubrics are unclear and unspecific. This
feeds into students and teachers dissatisfaction with test results as these
results reflect or mirror insufficient accomplishment or non-accomplishment on
both sides. This module will address item and rubric writing in teacher-made
language tests to minimize the mutual frustration of students and teachers
with tests.

WORKSHOP E:  Communicative Language Teaching Using
the Project- based Learning Approach
Fe de Jesus and Honeylein Peralta
Traditional language teaching puts a lot of emphasis on grammar rules.  CLT,
on the other hand, emphasizes real-life situations and communication in
context (Galloway, 1993).  While grammar is still viewed as important, the
emphasis is on communication.  In CLT, students use real-life situations in
learning the language. Project-based learning (PBL) is a model for classroom
activities that emphasizes learning activities that are long-term,
interdisciplinary, student-centered, and integrated with real world issues and
practices.  This workshop will help the teachers explore and discover
different student-centered activities as well as help teachers make learning
relevant and useful to students. What is important is that students develop
positive social skills, creativity, as well as problem-solving and critical
thinking skills.