[Blueboard] THE ASSUMPTION OF MARY

University at Prayer aheramia at ateneo.edu
Tue Aug 15 15:16:54 PHT 2006

" A Great sign appeared in heaven; a woman clothed with the sun, the moon beneath her feet, and a crown of twelve stars on her

THE ASSUMPTION OF MARY

" A Great sign appeared in heaven;

a woman clothed with the sun,

the moon beneath her feet,

and a crown of twelve stars on her head." (Rev 12:1)

Opening Prayer

Let us pray,

[that we will join Mary, the mother of the Lord, in the glory of heaven].

All-powerful and ever-living God, you raised the sinless Virgin Mary, mother of your Son, body and soul to the glory of heaven. May we see heaven as our final goal and come to share her glory.

We ask this through our Lord Jesus Christ, your Son, who lives and reigns with you and the Holy spirit, for ever and ever.

Amen.

Points for Consideration

Essentially, the Assumption Dogma solemnized in November 1950 affirms the fact that Mary has completed salvation and now shares in the fullness of the resurrection which God promised all peoples, when he raised Jesus from the dead. In her glorious state, we may as well hear Mary continually singing her song: "He who is mighty has done great things for me" (Luke 1, 49)

The Second Vatican Council reiterated the 1950 dogma and further stressed the unity of Mary's bodily and spiritual glory in heaven. The Council emphasized that the Assumption "body and soul" asserts that the whole person of Mary is saved, and all of us can now look to Mary as a pledge and guarantee that we will follow her in the same graced state.

Reflection

The feast of the Assumption is a good opportunity for us to sense God's invitation in our hearts to relive Mary's example of obedience and faithfulness to God. That she enjoys god's favor completely now through the Assumtion is a fruit of her continual listening and cooperation with God amidst the struggle of a fully human life.

Pause and ponder:

  a.. What special image of the Blessed Virgin Mary can I most relate with?

  a.. Do I sense Mary, as a silent presence by my side, as I struggle to give myself to God's continuing saving act in the world?

Adapted from:

Assumption Solemnity: Remembering Mary

Could be Dangerous" - Fr. Vic Baltazar, SJ

Novena

Mary, Queen Assumed into Heaven, I rejoice that after years of heroic martyrdom on earth, you have at last been taken to the throne prepared for you in heaven by the Holy Trinity.

Lift my heart with you in the glory of your Assumption above the dreadful touch of sin and impurity. Teach me how small earth becomes when viewed from heaven. Make me realize that death is the triumphant gate through which I shall pass to your Son, and that someday my body shall rejoin my soul in the unending bliss of heaven.

>From this earth, over which I tread as a pilgrim, I look to you for help. I ask for this favor: (Mention your request).

When my hour of death has come, lead me safely to the presence of Jesus to enjoy the vision of my God for all eternity together with you.

Pray for us O holy Mother of God; that we may become worthy of the promises of Christ.

Amen.

CONTRIBUTED BY:

Bro. Jomari Manzano, SJ

Suzanne Alvarez

Ateneo High School Campus Ministry Office

To subscribe to the University at Prayer mailing list,
please click on the link below: