[Blueboard] Newsbriefs 15 August Morning

Simbahang Lingkod ng Bayan slb at admu.edu.ph
Tue Aug 15 12:28:37 PHT 2006

Newsbriefs 15 August Morning

Simbahang Lingkod ng Bayan

http://www.slb.ph/newsbriefs.htm

Arroyo's House allies urged to examine impeach evidence (www.philstar.com)

Opposition congressmen and impeachment petitioners pleaded with President Arroyo's allies in the House of Representatives yesterday to see the evidence they have against her.

They made the plea on the eve of crucial hearings by the committee on justice on the determination of the substance of the remaining impeachment complaint.

Administration lawmakers, however, declared that the purported boxes of evidence the opposition showed to the media only reveal the "weakness" of the impeachment complaint they have filed against the President.

"The publicity stunt offered no actual proof of the President's guilt, but only revealed the weakness of the opposition's impeachment complaint against her," said House Deputy Speaker for Mindanao Gerry Salapuddin and Davao del Sur Rep. Douglas Cagas.

The opposition presented to the media seven large carton boxes containing voluminous pieces of evidence which they claimed could prove beyond doubt their charges of lying, cheating, stealing, and allowing extrajudicial killings against Mrs. Arroyo.

"We have the truth, and we want to expose it to the full light of day. We want the people of the Philippines to know the truth and use it as a basis for them to decide how they will move on," Deputy Minority Leader Alan Peter Cayetano said. He was reading from a joint statement of complainants and opposition congressmen.

"The truth is inside these seven boxes of multi-billion bank accounts, tapes, videos, eyewitness testimonies, and other damaging and convincing evidence. Inside these boxes are evidence of election fraud, including tapes, visual evidence, election paraphernalia, still photographs, and sworn statements by persons involved in cheating, proof of corruption, including paper trail on bank accounts and other financial transactions, Commission on Audit reports, among others," Cayetano said.

AFP won't jail Marines in coup plot (The Manila Times)

The Armed Forces of the Philippines has virtually shelved its plan to jail the 15 Marine officers implicated in the February 24 plot to topple the Arroyo government.

The Marine officers, who are under pretrial investigation before the Judge Advocate General's Office, will instead be housed in a "custodial center," Cmdr. Giovanni Carlo Bacordo, spokesman for the Navy, said.

The center is at the Marine Headquarters in Fort Bonifacio, Taguig City.

"We would like to call it a 'custodial center.' It will take long if we wait for the repairs at Fort San Felipe to be finished," Bacordo told Camp Aguinaldo reporters.

He said the center, a safehouse, will be guarded 24 hours a day.

Former Marine commandant, Maj. Gen. Renato Miranda, and Marine Col. Ariel Querubin will continue to be placed under restrictions at their quarters in Camp Aguinaldo.

The AFP chief of staff, Lt. Gen. Hermogenes Esperon Jr., has said that the Marines will be detained at Fort San Felipe in Cavite City once the repairs at a detention facility are completed.

But Bacordo said the Navy chief, Vice Adm. Mateo Mayuga, who is charged with detaining the group, has decided to hold them instead at the Bonifacio Naval Station.

The Marine officers will also have certain "luxuries" since cooks and cleaning women can enter the center any time of the day to attend to their needs, Bacordo said.

CBCP opposes 'supermaids' program (www.philstar.com)

The Catholic Bishops' Conference of the Philippines (CBCP) opposed President Arroyo's plan to train overseas Filipino workers (OFWs) evacuated from Lebanon into "supermaids," saying this will "not address the real needs of Filipino workers."

The Episcopal Commission on Migrants and Itinerary believes that the government's plan to enhance the skills of domestic helpers is not a good move because it will not generate jobs for OFWs, said Fr. Edwin Corros, executive secretary of CBCP-ECMI.

"We maintain the same criticism that sending workers abroad will not lead to long-term economic development of Filipinos. Idi-develop mo nga 'yung mga maids tapos ipapadala mo rin sa ibang bansa and where they could be in danger just like what is happening now in Lebanon (You will develop the skills of the maids only to send them to other lands)," Corros stressed.

P10-b fund to hike pay of workers set aside (www.manilastandardtoday.com)

GOVERNMENT employees with a salary grade of 11 or higher will get pay increases starting next year after President Gloria Macapagal Arroyo set aside P172.3 billion to cover annual raises until 2010.

The President wanted to give "super salaries" to keep government workers from being lured away by private companies, Budget Secretary Rolando Andaya Jr. said.

Based on budget department estimates, the government will spend P10.3 billion in 2007, P32.1 billion in 2008, P55 billion in 2009, and P74.9 billion in 2010 for the salary increases.

"We will need a law for this salary standardization scheme, and we will submit the compensation reform bill to Congress in October," Andaya said.

PRC probe: P7M paid for nursing test leakage (abs-cbnNEWS.com  )

An official of the Philippine Nurses' Association (PNA) allegedly paid P7 million to obtain test leakages for the June 2006 Nursing Board Examination, ABS-CBN's Bandila reported Monday.

The report quoted information from the Professional Regulation Commission (PRC), which conducted a fact-finding probe on the alleged leakage.

Jorge Cordero, PNA president and the official alluded to in the PRC report, dismissed the accusation. "Kung totoong nagbayad kami di sana number one ang anak ko. Bakit bagsak ang anak ko? (If it is true we paid for the leakage, why is it that my child failed the exam?)"

He threatened to file libel charges against those accusing him of initiating the test leakage.

The agency report said Cordero paid P7 million to the Bureau of Nursing examiners, the group that formulates questions for the board examination.

After obtaining the leakage, Cordero allegdly sold the test questions to students.

Dengue alert up in all schools (www.philstar.com)

The Department of Education (DepEd) raised yesterday an alert against dengue hemorrhagic fever in all private and public elementary and high schools nationwide.

In a statement, the DepEd said the alert was issued to protect the school populace from the disease following the result of the Weekly Disease Surveillance Report from the Department of Health, which showed that dengue remains number two on the list of the most prevalent diseases in the country.

DepEd released Memorandum 290 last July 28, signed by Education Undersecretary for Programs and Projects Fe Hidalgo, for the information campaign against the dengue.

DepEd directed all school administrators to mobilize school health personnel to disseminate information on the prevention and control of the disease.