[Blueboard] Newsbriefs 9 August Morning

Simbahang Lingkod ng Bayan slb at admu.edu.ph
Wed Aug 9 12:14:00 PHT 2006

Newsbriefs 9 August Morning

Simbahang Lingkod ng Bayan

http://www.slb.ph/newsbriefs.htm

Datumanong vows quick deliberations on impeach bids (abs-cbnNEWS.com)

"The House justice committee will try to end the impeachment proceedings in less than 60 days to allow congressmen to focus on the proposed 2007 national budget, DZMM reported Wednesday.

"Hopefully we can finish [the impeachment proceedings] much sooner than the period given by the Constitution so as not to disrupt the proceedings [for the 2007 national budget]," committee chairman Simeon Datumanong told DZMM.

He added that congressmen also need to focus on other pending measures.

The House justice committee junked seven of the eight complaints for violating the one-year ban on filing. The eighth complaint was filed by the Black and White Movement headed by former Cabinet member Corazon Soliman on July 27.

Datumanong said panel members will deliberate on the complaint's sufficiency in form and substance on Wednesday. Datumanong said he will limit the debates to three hours, giving each group one hour and thirty minutes each to raise their points regarding the complaint.

Justice panel members, numbering about 100, will then vote on the complaint's form and substance.

House Minority Leader Francis Escudero told ANC Wednesday that the opposition will push for the presentation of evidence during the deliberations.

"We will consider it a victory if we are allowed to present the voluminous evidence we have against President Arroyo," Escudero told ANC. "

Senate weighs options on nursing mess (www.manilastandardtoday.com)

"The Senate committee on civil service and government reorganization is seriously considering suggesting a retake of the leakage-marred nursing licensure examinations conducted last June 11 and 12.

Senator Richard Gordon, who along with Senator Pia Cayetano called for a Senate inquiry into the issue, said a reexamination is necessary to restore the credibility and integrity of the nursing licensure examinations in the country.

Along with Senator Rodolfo Biazon, chairman of the committee, Gordon said the senators would also look into possible amendments to the law with an eye to imposing stricter regulation of review centers or banning them.

"It is important that there is a retake. At the very least a retake of [Tests] 3 and 5, not necessarily all," Gordon said, noting that the two tests were the only items covered by the alleged leakage.

The licensure examinations consisted of 500 items, divided into five tests. Test 3 consisted of 19 questions, while Test 5 consisted of 20 items. Some 42,000 nursing graduates took the examinations and about 17,000 passed. "

Palace-Senate ties worsen; more execs snub hearings (Inquirer)

"IN A SIGN OF worsening enmity between Malacañang and the Senate, three officials of the Professional Regulation Commission (PRC) and several others skipped the Senate inquiry into the alleged leakage in the June nursing board exams.

"I have been a senator for years. This is the first time I get responses such as this from officials who are asked to come here," Sen. Rodolfo Biazon, chair of the committee on civil service, rued at the hearing.

Sen. Richard Gordon agreed: "I deplore these acts of the executive. Look at the situation of the PRC. We cannot do our job and they are getting away with it. I will assert it and if you ask me, I will hold them in contempt."

While miffed by the snub -- the second this week by executive branch officials -- senators sidestepped proposals to cite the no-shows in contempt and agreed to merely refer the matter to their legal department, avoiding a direct confrontation with the Palace.

The Senate labor committee also suspended its inquiry into the status of the Overseas Workers Welfare Administration (OWWA) fund until after the crisis in war-torn Lebanon was over.

"We just want to strengthen our legal position on the matter. That's why we referred it to the legal department first. The results could be that we might go to the Supreme Court again. I hope not," Senate President Manuel Villar Jr. said."

Big business, labor join clamor for ChaCha (www.manilastandardtoday.com)

"Leaders of big business and organized labor joined forces yesterday to express their support for a parliamentary government, saying this will liberalize the economy and lure foreign capital and create jobs that would keep Filipinos home instead of seeking risky destinations like war-torn Lebanon.

The Philippine Chamber of Commerce and Industry, Philippine Exporters Confederation, Inc. and the Trade Union Congress of the Philippines said they want the people's initiative to be filed before the Commission on Elections, which will in turn call for a plebiscite, whether or not the people are amenable to changing the 1987 Constitution.

"We will continue to export workers and lose the best minds and most skilled professionals of our new generation, unless we reform the 1987 Constitution," said Sergio Ortiz-Luis Jr., Philexport president. "We needed these reforms a long time ago."

Stressing that the reforms are necessary to restructure the restrictive economic provisions of the Charter, Ortiz-Luis said that such policies are something best left to the Parliament to craft because "they need to be dynamic to adjust with the needs of the times." "