[Blueboard] Fr. Bernas on Cha-cha: April 20 Forum in Rockwell

Benjamin T. Tolosa, Jr. btolosa at ateneo.edu
Sun Apr 16 23:56:01 PHT 2006

A very urgent issue facing our country today is the current initiative to
change the 1987 Constitution.  As the CBCP has pointed out in its April
7th pastoral letter, what is most disturbing is the process by which
charter change is being carried out. The hastiness of the current
"cha-cha" efforts and the vagueness of the proposed amendments/revisions
do not lend themselves to full participation and in-depth discussion by
the people toward the promotion of the common good.  The bishops call us
to discernment and action: "As Christians, we cannot be complacent and
inactive in the face of this present issue of charter change, which is so
crucial to the future of our country and people. Vigilance, education,
principled opposition may be necessary steps to take."

In this spirit, the Ateneo de Manila community is invited to attend a
forum on charter change sponsored by the Ateneo School of Law:

Whose Initiative and For What?:
Fr. Joaquin Bernas, S.J. on the Process of Amending the Constitution

with former Comelec Chair Christian Monsod and IBP President Joel Cadiz as
reactors

Thursday, 20 April 2006, 5 pm
Ateneo Professional Schools Auditorium
Rockwell campus, Makati City

Please email btolosa at ateneo.edu or benjtolosa at gmail.com if you need a ride
to Makati from Loyola Heights.  The Office of the LS Vice President is
providing round-trip transportation for around 64 people from the Loyola
campus (departure at 4 pm from Xavier Hall). We need confirmations by
Tuesday at the latest.  Please let us know too if you are willing to
bring your vehicle as part of a carpool, in case we have more people
interested in joining us than can be accommodated by the rented vans.

Hoping for your participation and support. There will be a short meeting
after the forum for those interested to talk about possible action plans.

Benjamin T. Tolosa, Jr., Ph.D.
Chair, School Forum
Loyola Schools
Ateneo de Manila University

email: btolosa at ateneo.edu/ benjtolosa at gmail.com
telefax: (632) 426-0906
trunkline: (632) 426-6001, ext. 5250, 5251