[Blueboard] Master's Project Presentation

Jaclyn Santos jrsantos at ateneo.edu
Thu Oct 13 12:10:19 PHT 2005

Dear Sir/Madam:

It is our pleasure to invite you to a  Master's Project
presentation entitled:

A Review of the Philippine Environmental Health Impact Assessment
Framework
by  Ms. Ma. Jo Ann Sabalza

Abstract

In this paper, I will be evaluating the framework of the Philippine
Environmental Health Impact Assessment (EHIA) in terms of the process for
undertaking EHIA and the strategy for its institutionalization. To
accomplish this, I will begin by introducing the health impact assessment
(HIA) concept with the discussion of its evolution as a tool for
decision-making, the values upon which its use is based, the different
types of HIA, and the basic steps of the process. I will then proceed to
describe the Philippine EHIA model together with the New Zealand and
Australian models to highlight its distinguishing features, its strengths
and weaknesses. I will also present the current practice of conducting HIA
in the Philippines to identify the strategy/strategies employed for its
institutionalization. Finally, I will submit my opinion with regards to
the advantages and disadvantages of the process model and strategy for
institutionalization of EHIA in The Philippines.