[Blueboard] Newsbriefs 10 October Afternoon

Simbahang Lingkod ng Bayan slb at admu.edu.ph
Mon Oct 10 16:30:05 PHT 2005

Newsbriefs 10 October Afternoon

Simbahang Lingkod ng Bayan

Islamic militants poised to stage attacks in Manila-Pascual (inq7.net)

(UPDATE) THE MILITARY is monitoring two terrorist cells composed of Abu Sayyaf and Jemaah Islamiyah (JI) militants poised to stage attacks in the Philippine capital.

"I don't want to sound alarmist, but the ASG and JI cells here in Metro Manila are capable of conducting bombings as we have experienced before," military spokesman Lieutenant Colonel Buenaventura Pascual told reporters in Camp Aguinaldo Monday.

A senior intelligence official, who asked not to be named, said at least 10 JI members, mostly Indonesian nationals, are now in Metro Manila.

"There is a real threat. They were able to carry out bombings in the past," said Pascual.

Pascual was referring to the Valentine's Day bombing in Makati City last February 14, which went off almost simultaneously with bomb explosions in the cities of Davao and General Santos.

LP members seek revival of impeach bid (www.abs-cbnnews.com)

Members of the Liberal Party at the House of Representatives petitioned the Supreme Court (SC) on Monday to revive the deliberations on the impeachment complaint against President Arroyo.

A DZMM report said House Deputy Speaker Benigno Aquino III led nine other congressmen in filing a petition for certiorari to request the SC to revive the impeachment debates.

Accompanying Aquino were Liberal Party congressmen Henedina Abad (Batanes), Joseph Emilio Abaya Jr. (Cavite), Nereus Acosta (Bukidnon); Proceso Alcala (Quezon), Rozzano Rufino Biazon (Muntinlupa), Manuel Mamba (Cagayan), Antonino Roman (Bataan), Erin Tañada III (Quezon) and Alfonso Umali Jr. (Oriental Mindoro).

The group said the dismissal of the impeachment complaint at the lower chamber violated the Constitution since it did not undergo the correct process under the House committee on justice.

This is not the first time the high court was asked to step into the issue of the impeachment complaint.

The Supreme Court has yet to rule on a pending petition for certiorari filed by Cebu Rep. Clavel Martinez and a group of lawyers after dismissing two other similar petitions.

GMA urges LGUs to back Cha-cha (www.abs-cbnnews.com)

President Arroyo urged local government officials to support her administration's drive for constitutional change, DZMM reported on Monday.

During rites marking the 14th anniversary of the Local Government Code, Mrs. Arroyo expressed confidence that local officials will blunt opponents of Charter change, adding that it is the local governments that will reap the benefits of constitutional revision.

"I expect that even if there are vested interests blocking our plans for a system change, because you are there we will succeed. Long live the local government!" Mrs. Arroyo said in a speech at the Manila Hotel.

The President also urged local government officials to help the public realize the importance of additional taxes.

"Tulungan ninyo kong mapagpaliwanag sa kanila na ang dagdag sa buwis ang makakapagbigay sa kanila ng eskwela, tubig, kuryente sa barangay, pautang sa maliliit na negosyo, imprastrakturang magbibigay tulong sa mga namumuhunan magbibigay ng trabaho (Help me explain to them that the additional taxes will give them schools, water, loans for small businesses and infrastructure needed by investors who generate jobs)," she said.

Spying issue in US embarrassing for us, says Philippines (www.philstar.com)

The Philippines Monday bewailed the issue of a Filipino-American caught spying in the US and slammed its political detractors for causing this 'embarrassment.'

In a statement, Press Secretary Ignacio R. Bunye said, "Self-serving politicians can ruin our diplomatic integrity by spying on our allies, but this only shows how far some of the President's political detractors will go just to satisfy their raw ambition for power."

"But we are concerned over the negative implications of this incident on Filipinos who are building a career not only in the United States but also in other countries," Bunye said.

He added, "This is an embarrassment for our people who deserve an apology from those who messed up the good name of our country."

The presidential spokesperson admitted that, "We can leave to the American government the matter of bringing the malefactors to justice."

NBI: US spy probe to spare no one (www.abs-cbnnews.com)

US federal investigators will spare no one in their investigation of an espionage ring involving a naturalized American accused of stealing information from the White House and the Federal Bureau of Investigation (FBI), abs-cbnNEWS.com learned Monday.

National Bureau of Investigation (NBI) Director Reynaldo Wycoco said he and other Filipino officials had met with their Washington, DC counterparts at the FBI and the US Department of Justice to discuss and coordinate on the investigation of the alleged US espionage ring that involved Filipino nationals.

He said US authorities emphasized in the meeting that they will vigorously pursue the case and will spare no one, considering that the material stolen by the principals were US classified documents.

He said the American officials also emphasized that the security of the White House itself had been violated.

The US officials said the indictment of former Philippine National Police official Michael Ray Aquino was proof of their resolve. Aquino was indicted by US federal prosecutors for spying and conspiring with Leandro Aragoncillo, an ex-FBI officer, to pass on classified documents to Philippine officials.