[Blueboard] Newsbriefs 7 October Afternoon

Simbahang Lingkod ng Bayan slb at admu.edu.ph
Fri Oct 7 16:19:55 PHT 2005

Newsbriefs 7 October Afternoon

Simbahang Lingkod ng Bayan

Bali bombing mastermind in Philippines: Muslim rebels (philstar.com)

ZAMBOANGA - Indonesian Islamic militant Dulmatin, who has a 10 million dollar US bounty on his head, is hiding out in the Philippines, a spokesman of the main Muslim separatist group here said Friday.

Dulmatin, an al-Qaeda trained electronics expert thought to be one of the masterminds of the 2002 Bali bombings, is in Mindanao, said Eid Kabalu from the Moro Islamic Liberation Front (MILF).

He said Dulmatin was with the senior leader of militant group Abu Sayyaf, Khadaffy Janjalani, as well as another alleged member of Jemaah Islamiyah, Umar Patek.

The US reward announced Thursday for information that could help capture or kill Dulmatin is second only to the 25 million dollars offered for Osama bin Laden and Iraq insurgency leader Abu Musab al-Zarqawi.

"Based on our operations, Dulmatin and Patek are in Mindanao but we do not know what place because they fled from the latest operations," said Kabalu.

Metro Manila police brace for possible terrorist attacks (inq7.net)

SECURITY forces are bracing for possible terrorist attacks in the Philippine capital after the Islamic holy month of Ramadan, an intelligence official said Friday.

"At the end of Ramdan, around November 4, that's when we will monitor [terrorist movement]. That's when we will be on red alert again," said Senior Superintendent Felipe Rojas Jr., intelligence chief for the National Capital Region Police Office (NCRPO).

He said the recent suicide bomb attack in Bali Indonesia, which killed over 20 people, was carried out before the start of the Islamic holy month.

Authorities are particularly keeping a close watch on the Balik-Islam, a group of Islamic converts with alleged links to the al-Qaeda linked Abu Sayyaf and the Jemaah Islamiyah, he said.

Rojas however expressed doubts over the possibility of suicide attacks in Metro Manila saying Filipinos are not brave enough to be suicide bombers. "They may have the intention, but they don't have the capability. No one in the Philippines wants to be a suicide bomber unlike in the Middle East," he said.

Metro Manila police on full alert for anti-Arroyo rally (inq7.net)

POLICE forces in Metro Manila were placed on full alert ahead of an opposition-led rally in downtown Manila on Friday.

Philippine National Police (PNP) spokesman Chief Superintendent Leopoldo Bataoil said the full alert, which was raised at 12 p.m., was also meant to thwart possible terrorist attacks.

"We raised the full alert in preparation for the opposition rally," Bataoil said in a phone interview.

"Whenever we raise the full alert, it is also in preparation for any eventuality," Bataoil said, when asked if the alert was related to terrorist threats in the wake of the Bali bombings over the weekend.

The United Opposition (UNO) and the People's Movement Against Poverty (PMAP), a group of loyalists of deposed president Joseph Estrada, will converge at Plaza Miranda in the Quiapo district at 3 p.m.

NCRPO on full alert vs protests (abs-cbnnews.com)

The National Capital Region Police Office was placed on full alert Friday afternoon following the announcement of several street protests in various parts of Metro Manila including the presidential palace.

NCRPO chief Director Vidal Querol said police will monitor the simultaneous protests to ensure that no violence will occur in the areas affected by the street rallies.

He said street demonstrators who continue to question the government's "calibrated preemptive response" (CPR) should go to the Supreme Court and have Presidential Decree 880 declared void.

Querol said PD 880 ensures that the police have the full backing of the law while dispersing unauthorized rallies.

"We are a country of laws... It is this same set of laws that protects the people," Querol told ABS-CBN News Channel.

Sept tax collection crucial for BIR OIC (abs-cbnnews.com)

Jose Maria Buñag may be appointed permanently as Bureau of Internal Revenue chief if the agency meets or exceeds the September tax collection target, Finance Secretary Gary Teves said Friday.

Teves said Buñag's stay in the BIR hinges on the agency's performance for September. Buñag was named as BIR officer-in-charge last July to replace former BIR head Guillermo Parayno.

"He performed well in August so I told him that I should check his performance for September. We could recommend him as the full-fledged commissioner," Teves told DZMM.

The BIR, under Buñag, collected P55.1 billion in August, ahead of its target of P51.8 billion for the month.

DoF eyes P4-B revenue if EVAT gets SC nod (abs-cbnnews.com)

The Department of Finance is eyeing and additional P4 billion to P6 billion in revenue this year from the Expanded Value-Added Tax (EVAT) Law if the Supreme Court lifts the freeze on the sales tax this month.

Finance Secretary Gary Teves said the government expects the high court to issue a final ruling on October 18. The government, he said, may implement the EVAT law on November 1 if it gets a favorable ruling from the tribunal.

"A conservative estimate would be P4 billion in revenue from the tax," Teves said.

Shares close higher on dividends, earnings outlook (XFN-Asia)

SHARE prices closed higher as investors snapped up stocks that declared dividends like San Miguel Corp. and those likely to report robust earnings, although trading volume was thin ahead of the weekend, dealers said.

The composite index closed up 12.93 points or 0.67 percent at 1,952.28 after trading between 1,939.35 and 1,956.06. Volume turnover was 376.06 million shares valued at 802.49 million pesos.

The all-shares index advanced 6.29 points to 1,184.16.

Gainers outnumbered losers 38 to 25, while 50 stocks were unchanged.

      Peso-Dollar Exchange Rate
      Official Rate from the Philippine Dealing System

      PDS Wtd. Avg.
     Previous Close

      P55.888 = $1.00
     55.865

            Open
           55.850

            High
           55.910

            Low
           55.850

            Close
           0

            Volume (US$)
           160.52M

      As of October 07, 2005 2:16 PM

      Disclaimer: These are based on Philippine Dealing System rates.
      Actual bank rates may vary.