[Blueboard] please disseminate

Boyet Dy boyet_dy at yahoo.com
Mon Nov 21 22:10:43 PHT 2005

  Gintong ANIbersaryo ng Dulaang Sibol
  1955-2005

  This year, DULAANG SIBOL celebrates its 50th anniversary, making it one of the oldest extant drama groups in the Philippines.

  An old theatre program dated 25 February 1955 heralds its inception as the Ateneo de Manila High School Dramatics Society. Soon it was drawing crowds with its steady stream of Shakespearean plays from MACBETH to HAMLET. Then from Edmond Rostand’s CYRANO DE BERGERAC to Agatha Christie’s AND THEN THERE WERE NONE.

  In 1966, with its first production of Filipino plays, the group gave itself a new name – DULAANG SIBOL.

  With the new name came new ventures. First, translations, then transplantations. Thus, OUR TOWN emerged as DOON PO SA AMIN; DEAR BRUTUS morphed as WALA SA ATING MGA BITUIN.

  1967 spawned Paligsahang Pandulaan. We dared our high school students to write and produce their own plays. The challenged spurred the 16-year-old Paul Dumol to soar with his ANG PUTING TIMAMANUKIN and sear with his ANG PAGLILITIS NI MANG SERAPIO.

  If the young can write plays that can move critics to sit up and take notice, perhaps they can write songs that a nation will sing. Thus was born our Timpalak Awit in 1975. Four years after that, a first year high school student wrote a song that would later be hailed as the best original Filipino composition of that year. The song – “Hindi Kita Malilimutan.” The 14-year-old amateur composed then is now the seasoned songwriter Fr. Manoling Francisco, SJ.

  In 1976, after 20 years of staging our plays in converted classrooms and borrowed halls, in slum clearings and convent parlors, the Ateneo gifted us with a theater-home, small and intimate, with 156 precious seats. We are grateful.

  And this year, after an unbroken series of stage productions for fifty years, we celebrate our golden anniversary with ANI, a harvest of some ten productions: from Shakespeare’s ROMEO AND JULIET to Dumol’s TIMAMANUKIN and SERAPIO; from a clutch of old and new compositions by Fr. Manoling Francisco, SJ to a Sibol-grown musical, ADARNA.

  Fifty years old and still, Dulaang Sibol is, in Fr. Miguel Bernad’s words, “a theater forever young.” And in many aspects, the description is apt. Sibolistas are high school students, as young as twelve and no older than eighteen.

  Still, Dulaang Sibol is high school theater with a difference. National Artist Leonor Orosa Goquinco describes it as “high school theater with a professional polish.” Critic Bien Lumbera labels it as “a seminal force in the development of Philippine playwriting.”

  Dulaang Sibol is theater of the young, for the young and young at heart.

  It is a seedbed for Philippine theater, sprouting sprigs green with promise. It evokes the star-ward thrust of the Alpha, more than the full flowering of the Omega.

  It is a brave beginning that can sometimes startle and stun, as only the young can – with that exciting brew of idealism and naiveté, served with a daring dash of the passionate vulnerability and that fumbling exuberance of birdlings in their first flight.

  Come celebrate with us.

                                                                                                        Onofre R. Pagsanghan, Ph. D.
  Managing Director
  Dulaang Sibol

  Adarna:

  November 18, 19, 25 & 26
  December 2, 3, 9 & 10
  January 6 & 7
  6:30 PM
  Dulaang Sibol – Tanghalang Onofre Pagsanghan, Ateneo de Manila HS

  Come to the Manger:

  December 16 & 17