[Blueboard] Newsbriefs 9 November Afternoon

Simbahang Lingkod ng Bayan slb at admu.edu.ph
Wed Nov 9 16:26:51 PHT 2005

Newsbriefs 9 November Afternoon

Simbahang Lingkod ng Bayan

Bishops want to work with media (inq7.net)

"THE country's Catholic bishops want to set up an institutional dialogue with the media to help the Church in communicating its pastoral role in society.

The plan is to set up a "Bishops-Media Conference" patterned after the Bishops-Businessmen's Conference, said Davao Archbishop Fernando Capalla, immediate past president of the Catholic Bishops' Conference of the Philippines.

The BBC brings together the leaders of the business sector with that of the CBCP, the Church hierarchy that runs the institutional affairs of the Church in the country.

A parallel conference with legislators is also being planned, said Capalla.

"The two groups are considered very important in the country so they should understand each other, their work, to help the people [have] a better life," Capalla told reporters as he prepared to bow out as the leader of the country's 119 bishops.

In an interview, Capalla cited media's important role in influencing public opinion and decision-making.

"Many people today base their decisions on what they read, what they hear or what they see," he said."

DOH: Text message on bird flu in Negros a hoax (abs-cbnnews.com)

"Health officials clarified there is no truth to the text messages that claimed a migratory bird died of avian flu in Negros Occidental, ANC reported Wednesday.

Provincial Veterinarian Renante Decente said the death of the migratory bird was caused by pneumonia and not bird flu.

Decena added that the message is baseless and is just meant to ruin the chicken industry in the province, which earns an estimated P1.2 billion a year.

Chicken sales plummeted by 40 percent or a loss of around P1.2 million Tuesday, the third day since the hoax message was first sent out. It was also reported that catering firms in Negros received cancellations because of the text message.

The Department of Health also assured that the country remains free from the avian flu, which plagued Asian countries such as Vietnam and Indonesia.

The DOH also ordered the delivery of anti-bird flu drug Tamiflu next year.

The text message that was circulated first on Saturday warned people to "avoid eating chicken." It added: "Negros Occidental is positive for bird flu. Please pass on to your loved ones, this is not a joke, a migratory bird in Escalante was tested positive."

A report sent to Governor Joseph Marañon by Decena said, however, the province remains bird flu-free."

Villar open to convening Senate Committee of the Whole for budget (philstar.com)

"Senator Manny Villar said Tuesday that he is open to the suggestions to convene a Committee of the Whole in tackling the proposed P1.053-trillion national budget for 2006, so that all the senators can participate in the budget deliberations.

"I have no problem with their proposal. I will abide by the decision of the chamber. My immediate concern is for us to pass the 2006 budget on time. That's more important than the procedure or method that will be used for the budget deliberations," citeds Villar, , chairman of the Senate Committee on Finance.

Villar, who has always been averse towards a reenacted budget, expressed concern also on the pace of budget discussions in the Lower House.

"Up to now, the budget is still not being discussed on the floor, its still on the committee level. We're supposed to receive the national budget from the Lower House by mid-November, so we can approve it before Christmas," he said.

Villar added, "Next year's national budget is meatier and this is the budget where revenues from the value-added tax are factored in. Of course, we don't want VAT revenues to go to waste. So we have so much to review. In fact, we are asking for more or additional time in scrutinizing the budget.""

Govt signs truce with Mindanao communist group (abs-cbnnews.com)

"The government announced on Wednesday that it has signed a peace agreement with the Rebolusyonaryong Partido ng Manggagawa ng Mindanao (RPMM), a breakaway group of communist rebels based in Mindanao.

"The RPMM agreed for a peace negotiation with the government in order to develop areas in Mindanao that are in dire need of development," Armed Forces of the Philippines spokesperson Col. Tristan Kison said in a statement.

He said the peace pact was inked last October 28 and takes effect Wednesday.

The RPMM is made up of remnants of the Revolutionary Proletarian Army-Alex Boncayao Brigade (RPA-ABB), a breakaway group of the New People's Army (NPA), which is the armed wing of the Communist Party of the Philippines (CPP).

The group has reportedly 500 members and operates mainly in the Zamboanga and Lanao provinces"

DOE sees possible stabilization of pump prices (abs-cbnnews.com)

"Local pump prices may stabilize as world crude prices dropped to a three-month low earlier this week due to diminishing demand, Energy Secretary Raphael Lotilla said Wednesday.

Aside from weaker demand, Lotilla also credited the strength of the peso and competition among local oil players for the recent reduction in prices of gasoline, diesel and kerosene products.

He added that he expects local pump prices to remain at current levels or go even lower in the coming months.

"We can't predict it but hopefully we can maintain it because demand for oil in other countries normally increases during the winter months because of high consumption," Lotilla said in an interview.

He added: "However, since we just came from really high (oil) prices, this will hopefully not go up anymore."

US light crude dropped to a three-month low on Monday at $58.60 a barrel as mild weather dampened demand in the Northern Hemisphere. On Tuesday, oil settled up 24 cents at $59.71 a barrel on the New York Mercantile Exchange while London Brent crude fell 23 cents to $57.81 on the International Petroleum Exchange."

Shares close sharply higher; key index at 8-month high (XFN-Asia)

"SHARE prices closed sharply higher on foreign buying in blue chips like PLDT, bringing the main index to its richest level in nearly eight months, dealers said.

Analysts said a better outlook on the Philippines' fiscal condition and mostly upbeat corporate results drove foreign funds to buy domestic stocks.

The composite index closed up 50.37 points or 2.46 percent at 2,097.30 after trading between 2,046.93 and 2,099.01. That was the index's best level since it settled at 2,100.11 on March 17.

Volume traded reached 606.06 million shares worth 1.75 billion pesos.

Gainers beat losers 88 to 10 and 40 stocks were unchanged.

"Foreign and institutional market players have started to realize that there are strong and fundamentally sound investments in the Philippines that are just being overshadowed by the political noise," DA Market Securities Inc. president Nestor Aguila said.

Apart from strong corporate earnings, dealers said investor sentiment also continued to be buoyed by the collection of the expanded value-added tax law beginning last week, reflecting the government's firm resolve in reducing its huge budget deficit."

      Peso-Dollar Exchange Rate
      Official Rate from the Philippine Dealing System

      PDS Wtd. Avg.
     Previous Close

      P54.626 = $1.00
     54.650

            Open
           54.580

            High
           54.665

            Low
           54.580

            Close
           0

            Volume (US$)
           269.11M

      As of November 09, 2005 2:35 PM

      Disclaimer: These are based on Philippine Dealing System rates.
      Actual bank rates may vary.