[Blueboard] INVITATION TO EAGLE WATCH

rneri at ateneo.edu rneri at ateneo.edu
Wed Jul 13 11:06:19 PHT 2005

                  ATENEO DE MANILA  UNIVERSITY
                     Department of Economics
   Ateneo Center for Economic Research and Development (ACERD)
                Department of Political Science
   Ateneo Center for Social Policy and Public Affairs (ACSPPA)

         EAGLE WATCH: An Economic and Political Briefing

                     FROM CRISIS TO CRISIS:
           How do we Minimize the Bumps Along the Way?

          August 3, 2005   Wednesday, 8:30 am -12:00 nn
       Veritas Hall, 4th Floor Ateneo Professional Schools
                  Rockwell Center, Makati City

We are in the midst of another political crisis that threatens to
derail the economy at a time when the debilitating fiscal crisis
has yet to be overcome.

With an exasperating sigh, we say. "Here we go again..."  Are we
condemned to keep perennially muddling through from "crisis to
crisis"?

But for us to be able to successfully withstand yet another crisis,
it is important for us to take stock of what have been gained so far
on the economic, social and political fronts and make sure that these
gains are not squandered and reversed by the ongoing political
turbulence.

It is in everyone's interest to minimize the disruptions of the ongoing
political chaos and aim that the crisis does not unduly add on to the
misery of our already suffering people.

Thus, apart from our usual assessment of the economic and political
landscape, we shall address the following questions in this briefing:

* How is the performance of the economy affected by the political
  conflict?  What is our economic outlook given the likely scenarios
  that may result from the ongoing political crisis?

* What gains have the present administration achieved in both the
  economic and political fronts that need to be preserved and further
  advanced, with or without a change in leadership?

* Lessons learned from the crisis.

Participation Fee is at P2,500 per person, inclusive of lunch and
briefing materials.  To register, please email rneri at ateneo.edu or
call Kaye Javier  at 426-5661 or 426-6001 loc 5220/5221.  Please
make checks payable to ATENEO DE MANILA UNIVERSITY (TIN 000-707-229).