[Blueboard] Department of English Irwin Chair Lecture on Creative Non-Fiction

mvilches at ateneo.edu mvilches at ateneo.edu
Tue Feb 1 09:39:42 PHT 2005

Dear Friends,

Thanks for attending the interesting lecture "To Speak the Unspeakable" by
Jay Chen last Monday afternoon.  If you want the handouts of that, let me
know so I can send these to you by email.

On behalf of the English Department, I would like to invite you to another
lecture.  It's our Irwin Chair Lecture this semester, "Essaying in
Creative Non-fiction" by Marra Pl. Lanot.  This will take place on
Friday, 11th February at 4:30 -6:00 in the Natividad Fajardo Conference
Room on the ground floor of De la Costa Hall.

Marra Pl. Lanot is our Irwin Chair holder this semester.  She is teaching
an undergraduate course on Creative Non-Fiction.  Ms. Lanot is a prolific
and renowned creative writer whose poems, essays, and short stories have
been published widely in magazines and newspapers, anthologized in books,
and collected in at least 10 book titles to her name.  At the same time,
she is a columnist, editor, and translator.

Following is her lecture abstract:

As a fifth grader in the elementary school, I already knew I wanted to be
a writer. I wasn't sure, though, exactly what kind of writer - poet or
journalist? It wasn't until college that the choices became clear to me
for the simple reason that I, a self-confessed illiterate, became a
voracious reader. And it wasn't until after college that I discovered the
joys of writing essays, not knowing then that the essay, like poetry,
suited my personality and temperament, and that the essay would open new
doors to different worlds.

In this lecture, I'm going to account for my development as a creative
non-fiction writer and read excerpts from my work to show this
development.  I shall also discuss some insights derived from teaching
other creative writers to do non-fiction writing.

Shall we see you, then, on Friday at this event?

Marlu

MA. LUZ C. VILCHES, Ph.D.
Associate Professor
Chairperson, Department of English, School of Humanities
Loyola Schools, Ateneo de Manila University
Loyola Heights 1108, Quezon City, Philippines
Tele-fax (632)426-6120
http://www.ateneo.edu/depts/english/