[Blueboard] KRITIKA KULTURA LECTURE SERIES, 26 August 2005

Department of English Department at admu.edu.ph
Mon Aug 15 08:37:39 PHT 2005

KRITIKA KULTURA LECTURE SERIES

Kritika Kultura
and the Department of English
present

JAN MAGHINAY PADIOS

A View from Somewhere:
Filipino Americans and the Geographies of Racial and Ethnic Identity

Friday
4:30-6:00 pm
Natividad Galang Fajardo Conference Room
Horacio de la Costa Building

The notion that Filipinos are a racially and culturally hybrid people of
Spanish, Chinese, and “native Filipino” descent is often evoked by Filipino
Americans in response to concerns regarding Filipino identity, ubiquitously
posed in the question What does it mean to be Filipino? Based on 10 months of
ethnographic research with Filipino Americans in New York City, this paper
interrogates the notion of “Filipino hybridity” by examining my respondents’
claims to Asian and Spanish identity. I situate these claims in relation to
two place- and space- based contexts: Asian American identity politics as
localized in the spatial hierarchy of New York as a neoliberal city and New
York as a “Latinized” city. I consider my respondents’ claims to hybridity as
ways of negotiating between the everyday racial hierarchies and forms of race
thinking they confront in such contexts. Rather than merely posing an obstacle
to Filipino American subjectivity, I argue that these negotiations are
constitutive of that subjectivity. They therefore challenge yet another set of
claims regarding Filipino identity that I will discuss in the this paper: that
of “non-identity,” or the assertion that Filipinos in New York City (and the
East Coast in general) lack a sense of Filipino ethnic identity. I situate
this latter claim within the geography of academic production of Filipino
Studies in the United States, which has heretofore been guided by institutions
and individuals writing from, and about, Filipino American collectivities on
the West Coast. Thus, to be Filipino in America is, in part, to maneuver
through a geography of racial and ethnic relations formed at the everyday
interstices of history, economy, culture, institutions, and intellectual
production and consumption.

This paper will present three theoretical threads useful for understanding
Filipino American identity construction in New York City. The first is the
production of space – especially “Asian ethnic space” – in a city in which
culture has emerged as an important tool for developers and investors to
support and make visible ethnic neighborhoods, favoring some groups over
others. The second is the possibility of understanding Filipino Americans in
relation to Latin Americans and the Latin American master social concept of
mestizaje. Finally, I consider the importance and effect of the academic
regionalism of Filipino Studies in the U.S. on Filipino Americans’
identifications and self-representation.

Jan Maghinay Padios, Henry MacCracken Fellow, is a doctoral student in the
American Studies Program at New York University where she also earned her
Master’s Degree in May 2005. She received her undergraduate degree from
Columbia University in 2001. Padios’ academic work has been primarily in the
fields of Critical Geography and Filipino Studies. She is currently in
residence at the Ateneo, researching possible dissertation topics on the
culture of consumption in the Philippines.

Department of English
School of Humanities
Ateneo de Manila University
Katipunan Road, Loyola Heights,