[Blueboard] FORUM : Beyond Leadership Change: Reviewing our Electoral Institutions

polsci at admu.edu.ph polsci at admu.edu.ph
Thu Aug 4 11:33:06 PHT 2005

The Department of the Political Science invites you to a forum that will
examine features of electing our chief executive and canvassing
presidential returns.  MILLARD LIM will attempt to look at relationship
between being able to directly elect the president and accountabilities.
LIM will also seek to investigate how the current feature of plurality in
which a presidential candidate obtaining the MOST number of votes is
proclaimed winner impact on legitimacy.  Recall that FVR, Estrada and
Arroyo, for examples are all minority presidents having obtained about
20%, 36% and 40% of the total votes cast.

MA. ELISSA JAYME-LAO will examine electoral administration by the COMELEC
and pose this question: Would an altered design of appointing our
electoral administrators and managing presidential elections have
prevented what could have transpired behind the GARCI tapes scandal?

Find out more in "Beyond Leadership Change: Reviewing our electoral
institutions", Case Study Room, Social Sciences Building, 4:30pm to 6:00pm,
Friday, 5 August 2005.