[Blueboard] Newsbriefs 3 August Morning

Simbahang Lingkod ng Bayan slb at admu.edu.ph
Wed Aug 3 11:05:11 PHT 2005

Newsbriefs 3 August Morning
Simbahang Lingkod ng Bayan

*Poll officials to sue Zuce* (www.manilastandardonline.com)

"All 13 regional directors of the Commission on Elections are suing
jueteng bagwoman Sandra Cam and former Palace aide Michaelangelo Zuce
for libel, denying charges that they accepted bribes to ensure President
Gloria Macapagal Arroyo's win in the 2004 presidential race.

"We know that there is a relentless effort to unseat the President, but
the Comelec is being dragged into this mess," said Comelec Chairman
Benjamin Abalos at a press conference yesterday.

Abalos denied claims by Zuce that poll officials were bribed at the
President's La Vista, Quezon City residence in January 2004 while Ms.
Arroyo watched.

He also said most of the directors that Cam and Zuce implicated are in
Mindanao, but said they are preparing charges against the two
whistle-blowers.

A Palace official, meanwhile, said Zuce had confided to a former
co-worker that the opposition had offered him a large sum to implicate
the President in the alleged bribery, just a few days before he went
public with his story."

*GMA ready to face impeachment trial* (www.manilastandardonline.com
<http://www.manilastandardonline.com/>)

"President Gloria Macapagal Arroyo yesterday said she is prepared for an
impeachment trial at the Senate that may come sooner than expected,
after the House adopted rules that enable opposition lawmakers to
continue gathering names for a complaint they filed Monday last week.

"Every defendant wants this over as soon as possible. I have a legal
team to do that," the President said.

She also stressed that she doesn't want the impeachment case to prevent
her from discharging her day-to-day official duties.

"I don't dwell on this; I have work to do... I have to organize my
economic managers, I have to begin the debates on changing the system of
government," she said.

Presidential Spokesperson Ignacio Bunye, for his part, said the
impeachment rules were an internal matter for the House. "The only thing
we can say is they acted with urgency in approving the rules
immediately," he said."

*BIR collections down 5% in July* (www.manilastandardonline.com)

"The resignation of former head of the Bureau of Internal Revenue and
the suspension of the implementation of the new Value Added Tax Law
significantly pulled down the bureau's collections in July.

Preliminary figures show that revenue collections by the BIR fell 4.85
percent to about P37 billion on July from P38.89 billion in the same
month last year. The tax collection last month was also P9 billion short
of its programmed collections of P46 billion for July.

For the first seven months of the year, BIR collections amounted close
to P297 billion or 10.78 percent more than the P268.08 billion collected
by the agency from January to July last year.

BIR expects tax collections to jump a little over 16 percent to P546.89
billion this year from P468.17 billion last year. BIR accounts for about
70 percent of total revenue collections of the national government,
which are expected to grow 12 percent to P783.15 billion this year from
P699.78 billion in 2004."

*Remulla eyes suspension of wiretap inquiry* (abs-cbnNEWS.com)

"Cavite Rep. Gilbert Remulla is seeking to suspend the House inquiry
into the wiretapped conversations of President Arroyo until former poll
commissioner Virgilio Garcillano and former National Bureau of
Investigation deputy director Samuel Ong testify.

Remulla, who heads one of the committees holding the hearings, said
panel members are seeking the arrests of the two resource persons for
ignoring requests to appear before the House inquiry.

"We will suspend indefinitely after Wednesday's hearing until the two
are found. I believe some of the congressmen will seek arrest warrants
for the two," Remulla told ABS-CBN News Channel.

Ong, who was first to disclose what he said were the master tapes of the
wiretaps, has so far failed to appear before the joint hearing,
preferring to send his lawyer. Vidal Doble, the military intelligence
agent who claimed to have provided Ong with the tapes, is in the custody
of the Intelligence Service of the Armed Forces of the Philippines.

Garcillano has been in hiding since the tapes of the alleged wiretapped
conversations appeared last June. The poll official allegedly talked to
President Arroyo last year in a vote-rigging scheme."

*Arroyo allays senators' fears about Charter change* (news.inq7.net)

"In A bid to allay senators' qualms about Charter change, President
Gloria Macapagal-Arroyo Tuesday clarified that she has not indicated
that she preferred a unicameral, parliamentary system that would lead to
the abolition of the Senate.

"I can understand the reluctance of some senators. A couple of them have
told me that institutionally, they don't want the Senate to be
abolished. But I have never advocated a unicameral system," the
President said in a television interview late Monday.

The President wants to fast-track Charter change through a consultative
assembly as the ultimate solution to the ongoing political crisis.

Proponents of a shift into a parliamentary system said the country could
choose to adopt either the British model which has a single body of
lawmakers and is led by a prime minister and a ceremonial head of state,
or the French model which has a bicameral legislature and is led by a
strong president and a prime minister."