[Blueboard] Lady Eagles, Thank You for a Great Season!

Rona Valenzuela mvalenzuela at ateneo.edu
Fri Oct 15 09:18:35 PHT 2004

Ateneo de Manila University
OFFICE OF THE PRESIDENT

MEMO TO   :    THE UNIVERSITY COMMUNITY

       FROM   :    THE PRESIDENT

  SUBJECT   :    LADY EAGLES, THANK YOU FOR A GREAT SEASON!

ADMU LADY EAGLES

          At the end of the mass at the Church of the Gesù last Saturday night after the heartbreaking loss of our Lady Eagles to Adamson in the third and final game of the championship, I read a text message, which Dr. Alran Bengzon had sent me. I believe it expresses the sentiment of the Ateneo de Manila community:

            “The Lady Eagles did us proud by what they accomplished this year, including this final game -- sound fundamentals, high energy, great heart, and strong sense of team. They are models for all ADMU athletes, teams and coaches. Congratulations forever.”

            Truly, to our Lady Eagles from the whole Ateneo Community, congratulations and thanks for a season to remember. The team finished number 2 during the season with a 9-3 record, losing once to FEU and twice to Adamson. They eliminated La Salle in the Final 4 playoffs. In the Finals series vs Adamson, we won game 1 by 3 points, lost by 1 point in game 2, and finally lost a very thrilling game 3 in OT by 3 points.

            Right after the game, the team was in tears. When asked on Halikinu radio last Monday how she felt, Danica Caynap or “Dcay” said, “It was painful. The whole day I was stunned and I just couldn't believe that we just lost it.” But then “a lot of people were still so supportive of us and so we find the strength to go on. I guess it’s a good sign and that God has a lot more things in store for us, better things in store for us.” Pipay Villanueva, who scored a career high 26 points in the final game, expressed the same feelings in the interview, adding that the championship series “was a very nice experience because after so many years (17 to be exact), we finally got back to the finals.”

            Coach John Flores expressed how moved he was by the sea of blue and white waiting for them as they left the dugout after the game. The university community appreciates very much how the team has improved and grown, from a 0-12 record five years ago to reaching the final 4 last year and the finals this year.  This is the result of very hard work all year round practicing almost daily from 6am to 9am. Those who read Carolyn Tan-chi’s essay in the Philippine Daily Inquirer of July 14 know the exemplary discipline of our young women, balancing basketball, academics and their personal and spiritual life. This strong finish and their exemplary discipline should further boost Ateneo sports in general and women’s sports in particular.

            Towards the end of the Halikinu interview, Dcay Caynap said something that I found both unusual and exemplary: “We’d like to congratulate the Adamson Lady Falcons. It was a very good series and we learned a lot from them.” This is a team that is already at a very high level and that continues to grow and to learn. We look forward with them to the next season and to our first ever championship in women’s basketball.

            Our warmest thanks to Coach John Flores and the coaching staff, to Team Manager Treena Limjengco, to Justin and Marissa Adviento, to Mr. Jun-jun Capistrano, Mr. Ricky Palou, to the Team Captain Tin Chua and the Co-Captains Dcay Caynap and Pipay Villanueva and the whole team, and to the parents whose unconditional support for the team was their source of strength.

Mary, for you, for your white and blue.

            We pray you’ll keep us, Mary, constantly true.

            We pray you’ll keep us, Mary, faithful to you.

                                                                                    BIENVENIDO F. NEBRES, S.J.

                                                                                                     President

ACKNOWLEDGEMENTS

The ATENEO LADY EAGLES Women’s Basketball Team would like to thank the whole Ateneo community for its tremendous and overwhelming support. Special thanks to:

Coach John Flores and the coaching staff

Justin and Marissa Adviento

Jun-jun Capistrano

Ricky Palou

Vic Cabañero

Dr. Tito Chan

Fr. Ben Nebres, S.J.

Fr. Tito Caluag, S.J.

Fr. Rudy Fernandez, S.J.

Coaches Joe Lipa & Ricky Dandan

Coaches Sandy Arespacochaga &  Jamike Jarin

Coach Chot Reyes

Mr. Jose M. Santos

Dr. Miren Gonzalez-Intal

Ms. Chita Rosales

Dr. George Canlas

Monchito Mossesgeld

Jun Dalandan

Team Manager Treena Limjengco

The Ateneo Alumni (Special mention to: Jimmy Alabanza, Vic Lim, Dennis Javier, Mon Murillo, Fred Sy, Class of HS 62, Joel Lopa, Bombit Silva, JM Silva)

            Joseph Buduan

            The parents of the Ateneo Lady Eagles

Erika Dy, Donna Reyes, Carla Laroza,Candy Tanchi and Batch 2001 who started it all

            Noel Raya and Family

            Ron Bebida and Family

            JP Escudero

            The Moro Lorenzo Staff

            The University Athletics Staff

ADMU LADY EAGLES

18                Barracoso, Marie Anjelica C.

5                Caynap, Danica Regina G.              Co - Captain

9        Chua, Kristine C.                            Team Captain

      12        Grajales, Aileen A.

      11        Herrera, Mara Kristina G.

        4        Lee Villanueva, Stephanie L.S.        Co - Captain

      17        Leyco, Khristia Angela V.

        6        Ngo, Cheryll B.

        8        Quimpo, Katrina A.

      10        Rapes, Ana Therese A.