[Blueboard] World Water Day Poster Competition

mvilches at ateneo.edu mvilches at ateneo.edu
Wed Jun 9 11:16:25 PHT 2004

Dear Colleagues,

Remember the information on World Water Day Poster Competition which I
emailed you sometime in second semester last year?

Well, good news for the Philippines!  We got the first place winner in the
person of REBECCA GEORGIA V. YU, Age 9.  Her winning entry was entitled
"Save a River, Save a Community."  You can view the poster at
http://www.scienceacross.org/. Scroll down and click on the news about
the World Water Day Poster Competition.

A round of applause goes to Rebecca as well as to her highly pleased
parents: Dr. Cathy Vistro-Yu from our Mathematics Department (School of
Science and Engineering) and Mr. Darwin Yu from our Management Department
(JGSchool of Management)!

The competition, sponsored by Science Across the World, was participated
in by children (8-12) and teenagers (13-16) from 8 different countries -
Bulgaria, Italy, Malaysia, Philippines, Poland, Romania, Turkey and the
United Kingdom. There were 201 entries ranging from hand drawn and
painted posters to electronic and PowerPoint versions. The winners from
the two age ranges will each receive a colourful and innovative science
book, plus certificates of recognition.

A vote of appreciation for our young talents!

MA. LUZ C. VILCHES, Ph.D.
Associate Professor
Chairperson, Department of English, School of Humanities
Loyola Schools, Ateneo de Manila University
Loyola Heights 1108, Quezon City, Philippines
Tele-fax (632)426-6120
http://www.ateneo.edu/depts/english/