[Blueboard] UAAP Season 67 Ateneo Blue Eagles Bulletin #1

Efren Debulgado edebulgado at ateneo.edu
Tue Jun 8 17:57:30 PHT 2004

BULLETIN #1
Ateneo Blue Eagles
UAAP Season 67

     This is the first in a series of bulletins which like last year's,
are aimed at keeping you informed of team developments.

     The aspirants are now down to the last 18, listed alphabetically as
follows: Japeth Aguilar, Ford Arao, Ken Barracoso, Paolo Bugia, Macky
Escalona, Yuri Escueta, Larry Fonacier, JC Intal, Doug Kramer, BJ
Manalo, Magnum Membrere, Jobe Nkemakolam, Martin Quimson, Bajjie del
Rosario, Miggy Solitaria, LA Tenorio, Chris Tiu, and Johan Uichico.
Twelve of these 18 were members of last year's team. Four are freshmen,
five are sophomores, three are juniors, one is a senior and five are
graduate students.

     As part of their preparation for UAAP Season 67, the Blue Eagles
are participating in a mini-invitation tournament from June 10-13 in
Cebu where the Ateneans will play against four top Cebu-based commercial
teams. We are deeply grateful to Mr. Jack Huang, President of the Cebu
Ateneo Alumni Board for arranging for this year's games as he did last
year.

     We will announce the final line-up of 16 players shortly after the
Cebu trip.

     Incidentally, the UAAP Board had earlier decided to reduce the
number of players to 14 per team, with all 14 allowed to play in a game.
The Board, however, reconsidered its decision and the number was brought
back to 16, with 14 allowed to play in a game. However, the line-up per
team will be reduced to 14 starting next season.

     On June 2, the Ateneo hosted a friendship night for the De La Salle
University. Present were Bro. Armin Luistro, FSC, President of DLSU who
led a contingent of university officials, Alumni Board officers, team
officials, coaches and players. The evening started with mass at the
Church of the Gesu and was followed by dinner in the PLDT Convergent
Technologies Center. The Ateneo group, led by Fr. Ben Nebres, S.J., was
composed of the Ateneo counterparts of our guests.

     The friendship night was a reciprocal move for DLSU's hosting one
last February. This is part of the effort at building closer
relationships between two schools that share visions and many values in
common, notwithstanding their fierce rivalry on the basketball court.
The two schools will continue to pursue common educational projects in
the spirit of friendship and unity.

     Our coaching staff is composed of:  Sandy Arespacochaga, Head
Coach; Gene Afable, Jamike Jarin and Gabby Severino, Assistant Coaches;
Chester Tiongson, Strength and Conditioning Coach, Sol Alcantara,
Physiotherapist, and Mick Perez, Team Psychologist. Jon-jon Jacinto
takes care of the statistics and video. Belay Ripol is Nutrition
Consultant of the team.

     Mr. Norman Black has now been with the team for over two weeks now
as Team Development Consultant. As you may remember, when our Head Coach
Sandy Arespacochaga was appointed Head Coach in December last year, Fr.
Ben Nebres, S.J., also announced that a senior coach would be appointed
to provide mentoring, support and assistance to Sandy and the coaching
staff. After plans for other persons fell through, another search was
initiated and fortunately, Mr. Norman Black was available and willing to
help. He is now sharing his deep and wide experience as a coach with
Sandy, the coaching staff and the players.  Sandy is grateful for the
big help that Mr. Black is providing, especially with the big men whom
he has taken under his wing to train, and for his comments and
suggestions about the other aspects of team. The working relationship
between them is excellent.

     The UAAP Season opens on Saturday, July 10, at the Araneta Coliseum
with De La Salle University as host. We play our first game on Sunday,
July 11, versus the Green Archers.

     Should you have any comments or questions, please forward them
through this email address. We are presently studying the possibility of
setting up a separate email address for questions, comments and
suggestions regarding the Ateneo team so that you can have easy access
to those connected with the team.

     As in past years, we are counting on your support! One big fight!

        MONCHITO MOSSESGELD

        Team Manager